My body was not made for dancing. In fact, I was last in the queue when they handed out dancing shoes. When Just Dance 2015 landed on my lap I went into a panic, as I’m the only one on the team with a PlayStation 4 camera (and Kinect). So can this game make you a dancing God?
Just Dance 2015 really does live up to the name. All the developers wants you to do is just dance right away. You’re asked if you’d like to use the PS4 camera, Move controller or a mobile device to dance along to the on-screen actions. You can also use a microphone, should you own one, or PS4 camera to sing along. Once you’ve made your selection you’re whiffed off to the main screen where you can literally press the X button twice and jump right into Pharrell Williams ‘Happy’ song to dance within seconds of booting the game up.
I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well the camera picked up my motions. Obviously this meant that I was not doing all too well as I looked like a stiff with a carrot up my backside. After several songs I improved quite drastically and just about saw myself as some kind of pro dancer. I’ll let you know that I received 3 stars for my first song I danced to. I was quite proud and even unlocked a perfect combo trophy, which means that I got 10 perfect moves in a row. Not that I plan to call up J.Lo as a backup dancer anytime soon.
Once you’re done with a song you’ll be rated and you can rate your experience. Pressing the square button lets you jump between bad, so so, OK, good and amazing ratings. Next up you can share your awesome moves with friends via Facebook. I don’t think I’ve ever hit the continue button (without sharing) as quick as I did here, seeing as I looked like a complete moron. If you are in awe with your moves you can also save the videos so that you can look at your awesome moves at a later stage at your own leisure.
Happy is a great song to start with as it makes anyone, even as morbid as me, in the mood for some dancing. Problem is the rest of the songs never quite reach those heights. There are one or two classics, but it’s as if the franchise is running out of classic numbers. Here is the list of available songs:
- Bang Bang” – Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj
- “She Looks So Perfect” – 5 Seconds of Summer
- “Problem” – Ariana Grande Ft. Iggy Azalea and Big Sean
- “4×4” – Miley Cyrus
- “Best Song Ever” – One Direction
- “Happy” – Pharrell Williams
- “Addicted To You” – Avicii
- “Black Widow” – Iggy Azalea Ft. Rita Ora
- “Maps” – Maroon 5
- “Papaoutai” – Stromae
- “Birthday” – Katy Perry
- “Bad Romance” – Lady Gaga
- “Built For This” – Becky G
- “Holding Out For A Hero” – Bonnie Tyler
- “Summer” – Calvin Harris
- “Tetris” – Dancing Bros.
- “You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)” – Dead Or Alive
- “Let It Go” – Disney’s Frozen
- “Burn” – Ellie Goulding
- “Bailando” – Enrique Iglesias Ft. Descemer Bueno & Gente de Zona
- “Mahna Mahna” – Frankie Bostello
- “Never Can Say Goodbye” – Gloria Gaynor
- “I Love It” – Icona Pop Ft. Charli XCX
- “You’re On My Mind” – Imposs Ft. J. Perry
- “Love Me Again” – John Newman
- “Only You (And You Alone)” – Love Letter
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- “Get Low” – Dillon Francis & DJ Snake
- “Diamonds” – Rihanna
- “Me And My Broken Heart” – Rixton
- “Walk This Way” – Run-DMC & Aerosmith
- “Don’t Worry Be Happy” – The Bench Men
- “Epic Sirtaki” – The Bouzouki’s
- “Speedy Gonzalez” – Los Pimientos Locos
- “Macarena” (Official Choreography by Mia Frye)- The Girly Team
- “Love Is All” – The Sunlight Shakers
- “It’s My Birthday” – will.i.am Ft. Cody Wise
- “The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)” – Ylvis
- “XMas Tree” – Bollywood Santa
- “Fatima” – Cheb Salama
Of course you can head off to the shop and buy songs (DLC) from a massive list of options, which does make this version of Just Dance 2015 as good as you’d like it to be, but it’ll cost you some extra Rands.
When visiting the ID Wall in the top left-hand corner of the main screen you’re giving tasks to achieve, such as playing for another number of minutes to unlock a new song and various other challenges. See it as mini trophies outside of the official trophies. On your Dancer Card, top-right on the main menu, you’ll track all your stats. This includes Calories burned, unlocks, shares, songs played, likes, avatars unlocked, views and the numbers of stars you’ve collected. It’s a fantastic way to keep track of your progression.
Include the simplicity of finding other recorded online dancers to join you in your game, or three other people in your lounge, and Just Dance 2015 really does tick all the boxes. I walked away a bit (read: microscopic) more confident at my dancing moves, but I also ended up with sore arms and a broken back. I don’t have the moves like Jagger, but if you’re the dancing kind then this is something you really should just consider.