News

MarioAna

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
I was pretty confused with the Q-Lite announcement, couldn’t really see a valid use case for it outside of a very niche set of situations:

1692666850972.jpeg

But now with Sony putting some Beta users onto the new streaming service (which is apparently running in 4k), it might make a bit more sense. Although for now it’s streaming only to the PS5.

Maybe they have a broader plan to stream directly to the Q-Lite.

Still not a fan of streaming games at all, but trying to figure out what this is going to end up looking like.

If you can use it to stream on the go, could be a cool little device. Somewhere between a Wii-U and a Switch. If it's locked to home use, that's a much tougher sell.

If you can use it to stream on the go, could be a cool little device. Somewhere between a Wii-U and a Switch. If it's locked to home use, that's a much tougher sell.
Yeah that’s a big part of the question. What they have said thus far is that it’s for streaming from the PS5 and that is just a very limited use case.

The only benefit I could see is if it’s connecting between the two in some new special way because current remote play already does this, and it’s not great even locally.

That all changes if their new cloud streaming service can go straight to the Q-Lite thing on the go. They just haven’t said anything like that.

Yeah that’s a big part of the question. What they have said thus far is that it’s for streaming from the PS5 and that is just a very limited use case.

The only benefit I could see is if it’s connecting between the two in some new special way because current remote play already does this, and it’s not great even locally.

That all changes if their new cloud streaming service can go straight to the Q-Lite thing on the go. They just haven’t said anything like that.

I would imagine not, seeing as adding that sort of functionality would add to the price significantly - unless it can piggy-back off your phone? We'll see.

Even as a home streaming device it doesn’t make sense unless you literally have no other devices in your home.

I can easily pull out my iPad and a DualSense and have a bigger screen with bigger sound and likely more functionality.

Same for any Mac/PC.

So this brings nothing to the table I don’t already have it a better capacity without spending any money.

I would imagine not, seeing as adding that sort of functionality would add to the price significantly - unless it can piggy-back off your phone? We'll see.

Well it has WiFi and any phone can do a hotspot so that’s a given assuming it’s allowed to connect over the internet.

Historically though remote steaming from home hasn’t been great though, so only a cloud streaming system from the nearest data centre would make some sense there.

I don’t see why they would actively block that, but the main concern was the ludicrously useless battery life.

Another thing I wonder about is the name.

Q-Lite suggest there’s probably a Q-Pro or Q-Plus or some such in the pipeline that can do more.

Completely useless device. But any device that only streams from another device or service is basically useless.

I tried xCloud on my phone while connected to home Wi-fi and it was ok, workable for medium to low paced games. High paced games like Doom due to latency wasn't that great.

Sometime later I tried xCloud on mobile 4G. It was awful, basically unplayable unless you were steaming solitaire or Uno.

So I agree, I don't understand who this device is for, and what problem it is trying to fix.

I used remote play on my last holiday and it was fine for things like Slay the Spire and Inscyption. But for everything else it was no good.

So this thing, like we’ve all said, doesn’t bring anything new to the table unless it’s making some new direct connection to the PS5 in-home that’s way better than how everything else does it already.

Even then it’s a really limited use case.

It’s called PlayStation Portal, lots of new info:

Doesn’t do much to help convince me. $200 for a streaming only device. PlayStation Link might make things useful but I’ll need people to test it fully and get latency figures.

Not impressed at all with the device and at the price point I do not think it will sell well.. You're better off getting a backbone controller at half the price for remote play imo.

If the rumours of it being a modified android device are true then depending on the specs you might get decent retro performance out of it.

As for the buds, they were my most anticipated device as I can't stand headphones so these would've been perfect for me.

BUT, they fumbled the bag with the pricing making it more expensive than the actual pulse elites so now its an easy choice for me to get airpods pros instead.

I've since figured out a way to use my samsung galaxy buds through my TV audio whist also being able to use the controller mic to communicate during online sessions.

I tried xCloud on my phone while connected to home Wi-fi and it was ok, workable for medium to low paced games. High paced games like Doom due to latency wasn't that great.

Sometime later I tried xCloud on mobile 4G. It was awful, basically unplayable unless you were steaming solitaire or Uno.

So I agree, I don't understand who this device is for, and what problem it is trying to fix.

Yeah for mobile none of this works without 5G.

Sony just announced price increases across the board on PS+ subs. Around 25%.

Really don’t see how they think this is okay. Right before Starfield comes out too. Really bad timing.

MS also increased GP subs not too long ago so seems like the trend. I suspect they will adjust local prices to remain similar to what they currently are or by a smaller margin as we've proven to be more price sensitive than most markets.

Sony just announced price increases across the board on PS+ subs. Around 25%.

Really don’t see how they think this is okay. Right before Starfield comes out too. Really bad timing.

New SA price for Extra is R1550.

Still cheaper than what the Aussies pay, so in that sense i'm glad my account is still in ZAR. But that has it's own issues.

For anyone wanting to extend, now is the time before the increase hits.

New SA price for Extra is R1550.

Still cheaper than what the Aussies pay, so in that sense i'm glad my account is still in ZAR. But that has it's own issues.

For anyone wanting to extend, now is the time before the increase hits.

Surely you meant Deluxe?

Because that’s like 50% on Extra as I recall it being under a grand.

Definitely waiting for BF and not going Deluxe again.

Bizarrely there was a 30% sale this week on subs but seemingly just showed up for some people, I suspect ones close to expiry.

Surely you meant Deluxe?
These are the new prices:

PlayStation Plus South African Prices September 2023​

• PlayStation Plus Essential
    • Monthly – R119
    • 3-Month Subscription – R319
    • 12-Month Subscription – R949 (was R749)
  • PlayStation Plus Extra
    • Monthly – R179
    • 3-Month Subscription – R519
    • 12-Month Subscription – R1,609 (was R1239)
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe
    • Monthly – R209
    • 3-Month Subscription – R609
    • 12-Month Subscription – R1,879 (was R1429)
So Extra goes up %30. That's quite a jump. Maybe you remember the discount prices, most of us wait for the annual discounts to buy anyway.

The new price here for Aus accounts is $170 so R2,077. Ouch. And neither region get PS Stars still, no streaming on Delux/Premium.

Back
Top Bottom