Poll: Will You Be Muting Your PS5's Beep?

Will You Be Muting Your PS5's Beep?

• Yes, I'm muting it immediately

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Maybe, I might try muting it

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Nah, I don't mind the beep

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, the beep is an integral part of the PS5 experience

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

RazedInBlack

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Just in case you missed it, the next major PS5 firmware update will let you disable the console's infamous 'beep' — the surprisingly loud chirp that occurs whenever you switch your system on. In truth, we've come to embrace the beep, but this news has revealed that some PS5 players aren't too keen on it.

Whether you're just not a fan of the noise, or whether the beep attracts unwanted attention from family members when you're doing some late-night gaming, we can certainly imagine some very select scenarios where the beep isn't ideal. But if we were putting money on it, we'd bet that most people simply don't care about their console's chirping.

Needless to say, it's time for a poll. The firmware is currently in beta — congratulations if you were invited to test it out — and is expected to fully release in the relatively near future. But when it does drop, will you be muting your PS5's beep? Have your say in our poll, and then explain yourself in the comments section below.

You know the only reason I even know it beeps is because the HDMI-CEC implementation is so broken and the thing turns itself on all the time when it shouldn't and almost never when you actually want it to.

They could rather fix that than worry about it beeping.

You know the only reason I even know it beeps is because the HDMI-CEC implementation is so broken and the thing turns itself on all the time when it shouldn't and almost never when you actually want it to.

They could rather fix that than worry about it beeping.
Yup, not sure if possible to set hdmi cec to work only 1 way?

In the old days with ps3 my 32" Samsung could turn itself on and off nicely with no hdmi cec function, but these new fangled TVs and consoles make the basics so aggravating.

In the old days with ps3 my 32" Samsung could turn itself on and off nicely with no hdmi cec function, but these new fangled TVs and consoles make the basics so aggravating.
Very true, or we all just getting old….

I'll try it. I'm neither here nor there with it and nobody in the house minds the sound tbh.

I'm fine with the beep, but will deactivate it, at least in our current apartment, as I worry it'll wake my wife early mornings.

As for CEC, I never use the feature, more hassle than it's worth in my opinion. Milage will vary though, depending on the complexity of your setup and available options to tailor the function.

Yeah that’s the thing there are no options.

It’s either turn it on and let chaos commence or turn it off and look for remotes.

Xbox has a lot of granularity here.

Problem is it turns on with everything so I’m forced to not use it. Turn Xbox on and the PS5 turns on and they fight each other.

Turn Apple TV on and the PS5 turns on. At least in this case you touch the Apple TV remote and it jumps back no problem.

Thing is it’s entirely random. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn’t. I used to think it somehow related to Load Shedding and the sequence of how devices turn back on, but it’s still a thing even on solar.

Yeah that’s the thing there are no options.

It’s either turn it on and let chaos commence or turn it off and look for remotes…

I think the PS5 does allow you to toggle whether or not CEC turns the console on, off, both or neither. Other devices usually also offer options. Very fiddly regardless.

I think the PS5 does allow you to toggle whether or not CEC turns the console on, off, both or neither. Other devices usually also offer options. Very fiddly regardless.
Yeah I think that’s the only option it has…which really the only reason to have it so not sure why there’s even an enable CEC option and Power On/Off.

Xbox has a lot of other options like turning other devices on and off and volume adjustment etc.

Yeah I think that’s the only option it has…which really the only reason to have it so not sure why there’s even an enable CEC option and Power On/Off.

The main purpose of CEC is to allow you to use a single remote to control all your devices, the auto on/off aspect is an additional convenience.

The main purpose of CEC is to allow you to use a single remote to control all your devices, the auto on/off aspect is an additional convenience.
Yeah exactly.

So I only use the Apple TV remote to adjust volume etc. The Xbox plays along in that you turn it on and then it switches to the input and you can adjust the volume with the one remote.

PS5 does that too most of the time, the annoyance is that it turns itself on when anything else turns on and automatically takes over the screen and sometimes this causes a weird loop when it's the Xbox you turned on as they jump between each other until you now get up and turn the PS5 off or grab the controller and that defeats the entire purpose of things being "remote".

Back
Top Bottom