Rate your recently watched series

Finished Three Body Problem and overall enjoyed it. It's a bit of a mixed bag with some performances being really good and some not so great, same goes for the plot with some things being really interesting concepts and then some things feel a bit stupid. I put that down to a book-to-screen gap which often happens but i haven't read the books so don't know if it's true in this case.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I couldn't get aboard with some of the ideas in the book either.

Finished Fallout and loved it. The first episode or two had me wondering if this was going to turn out good but it picked up and just went from there. Great stuff all around. So many references to the games but more than anything they got the feel right.

I'm really enjoying it as well, just a pity about Prime's compression - I find the occasional colour shifting quite distracting, the image just feels unstable. They're weirdly inconsistent, some stuff on Prime looks great, others not so much - you'd think they'd put more care into a premier show like this. I think it's film grain that sends their algorithm for a loop.

They're weirdly inconsistent, some stuff on Prime looks great, others not so much - you'd think they'd put more care into a premier show like this. I think it's film grain that sends their algorithm for a loop.
I wonder if you got a pirated episode to check if the problem persists. As in, is it baked into the file or is it more to do with the streaming component?

I wonder if you got a pirated episode to check if the problem persists. As in, is it baked into the file or is it more to do with the streaming component?

I would assume a pirate would source from streaming also? It's for sure down to Amazon's compression - released on disc, or on a different streaming service, it wouldn't have this problem.

It looks like they're using a gaussian approach to compression and it doesn't play nicely with grain. I guess it's a trade-off, you exchange persistent macro-blocking with a transient stochastic effect.

EDIT: Doing a bit of research, HEVC has a gaussian function option that's intended to hide compression artifacts.

Last edited:
The colours in Fallout are quite 'strong' for lack of a better word, and scene transitions really makes them pop. After bout 10minutes I stopped noticing Depth of field and blurring, and just focused on where director prob wants audience to?

I Like that at no time did I think this was not Fallout universe

The colours in Fallout are quite 'strong' for lack of a better word, and scene transitions really makes them pop. After bout 10minutes I stopped noticing Depth of field and blurring, and just focused on where director prob wants audience to?

That's not the issue, but it seems most people aren't sensitive to it.

While you're watching, mostly in darker scenes (like in the vaults or in places like tunnels - where you'd normally see effects like banding or macro-blocking) you get a quick flash of colour shift, just for a moment. It's not a change in brightness, just a slight shifting of the overall colour tone of a wall in the background, clothing, skin - it just creates an impression of instability in the image.

It doesn't stop me from enjoying the show, but it is distracting to me - more so than I would find macro-blocking.

Most of what you notice from the production and their process near all of us won't, not knowing about said processes. So when something is 'off' it's conspicuous to you, and when some stuff is done so well we just go, ' so purdy', while you can appreciate the effort involved. :)

Tonight I want to start watching Star Trek Discovery S4.
Know a lot of hate has been thrown it's way, but I quite enjoy the Burnham ark/character.

Hope there is another actor/character introduced to do some of the lifting.
The empress (Michelle Yeoh) character was soo good in previous seasons.

I would assume a pirate would source from streaming also?
I’m not sure how they do it, but they seem pretty sophisticated these days. Anyway though it might be an interesting experiment.

I’m not sure how they do it, but they seem pretty sophisticated these days. Anyway though it might be an interesting experiment.

With absolute confidence I can say it's not inherent in the source - definitely a biproduct of Amazon's stream compression.

I just watched episode 6, in the beginning black and white scene as he walks down the vault corridor you can see the greyscale slowly shift hues. Also, they used the same house as the orgy scene from The Boys S3 :)

Last edited:
1714129384504.png

Gangs of London

Season 1: This series has a hefty dose of violence, but there isn't one likeable character. It started great but in the end, I just wanted everyone dead. 7/10

View attachment 1618

3 Body Problem

Season 1: An interesting sci-fi series. I enjoyed the Chinese section that occurred in the 60's the most. I could watch more.... 7/10

I’ve only watched one episode, but that side of the story was very faithful to the book, which to me was also the most interesting. They play it more loose with the contemporary side.

Back
Top Bottom