Retro Games - MAME for XBox / PS5 / Steam

AfricanTech

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
I wish one of the big boys would do a MAME type release for ALL the old games.

Would love to play the old classics without having to fuck around and have 'out of the box' controller support.

Edit: Putting a couple of links here for ease of reference

[Thanks to @JoE for the heads up - "The retroid pocket 3 is probably the best value for money retro device you can get today"]

Retroid Pocket Site: https://www.goretroid.com/
Retro Game Corps Channel: https://youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps

Also thanks to @bokka1 for the pointer to Antstream (although it's not available in SA) which allows you to play retro games on the XBox and @cowbrains for the pointer to Emudeck which is purportedly coming to PC soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoE
Pretty sure licensing would be an issue for that...

I use EmuDeck for the SD, makes setting up everything a breeze. The only thing required is BIOS files for some emulators (eg. PS2). Its in EA for Windows and ROG, but the full release should be available in the coming months.

One caveat is that it seems like arcade roms like MAME, Neo-Geo, CPS2 etc. all have updated romsets in the last decade or so. So if you're like me and had a backup of the Neo-Geo catalogue from the early 00s, it wont work anymore on modern emulators.

I tried RetroPi last year. It was OK, but I had to use a totally different controller, and have a RPi plugged into TV, etc. The pain was downloading the various ROMs and BIOS's which was a pain. Some worked, some didn't. I would love a plug and play system like AntstreamArcade

Welcome to RetroPie. RetroPie allows you to turn your Raspberry Pi, ODroid C1/C2, or PC into a retro-gaming machine. It builds upon Raspbian, EmulationStation, RetroArch and many other projects to enable you to play your favourite Arcade, home-console, and classic PC games with the minimum set-up. For power users it also provides a large variety of configuration tools to customise the system as you want.

I use EmuDeck for the SD, makes setting up everything a breeze. The only thing required is BIOS files for some emulators (eg. PS2). Its in EA for Windows and ROG, but the full release should be available in the coming months.

One caveat is that it seems like arcade roms like MAME, Neo-Geo, CPS2 etc. all have updated romsets in the last decade or so. So if you're like me and had a backup of the Neo-Geo catalogue from the early 00s, it wont work anymore on modern emulators.
I see they're looking at a Windows Desktop version too (y)

The retroid pocket 3 is probably the best value for money retro device you can get today. There’s actually quite a huge market for retro gaming currently.

The way I get my retro fix on is using a little device called a Miyoo Mini. It plays everything up to PS1 with no issues and is portable enough to fit any pocket.

Getting one now is near impossible because of the huge demand for this guy but there are several other alternatives depending on your budget.

Another option I have is webrcade which allows me to ‘stream’ my games on basically any device with a web browser so I can just carry along a controller and play games on any modern tv.

I follow a channel on you tube called retro game corps which I recommend you guys visit if you’re looking for a device. He goes in depth into pros and cons and has easy guides for the popular devices.

The retroid pocket 3 is probably the best value for money retro device you can get today. There’s actually quite a huge market for retro gaming currently.

The way I get my retro fix on is using a little device called a Miyoo Mini. It plays everything up to PS1 with no issues and is portable enough to fit any pocket.

Getting one now is near impossible because of the huge demand for this guy but there are several other alternatives depending on your budget.

Another option I have is webrcade which allows me to ‘stream’ my games on basically any device with a web browser so I can just carry along a controller and play games on any modern tv.

I follow a channel on you tube called retro game corps which I recommend you guys visit if you’re looking for a device. He goes in depth into pros and cons and has easy guides for the popular devices.

Any links?

I'll pop them into the OP for ease of reference.

I was in Thailand when this got announced and placed it in my cart, when I checked at home it was gone. I think the problem is that it is being streamed and we don't have streaming available here.
Oh, are all the games streamed?

I thought they were running on the Xbox in an emulator.

Back
Top Bottom