Do you think older gamers have had it easier?

Elshubi

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My son getting into gaming now he is 5 and it's been great that he does Wana spend some time with dad and ask questions etc

One thing I notice and I know he is small still but on a 2d game like Peppa pig he was ok picked it up quick and could do pretty much everything (catching the chickens was the most challenging part for him, for those that played it)

The thing I noticed was when we played Astros playroom, he loves it and will play sections over and over again but he does find it Abit difficult to control the camera and astrobot. For this reason he will just quit out of some levels where he may find things Abit difficult.

So I was thinking and not sure what others thoughts would be but for us older gamers who grew as gaming evolved do you think it was easier to learn game mechanics that evolved over generations?

Just curious on what you guys think, I know he will get better at it as he plays more but just a thought I had.

Older games were simpler, mainly because they 2D with 4 direction control buttons and 1 or 2 action buttons. Almost anybody could pick up a game like Mario or Contra and figure out how to play within a few minutes and enjoy themselves. What these games lacked in complexity, they gained in difficulty which required you to practise and practise in order to finish levels and the game.

I also see my daughter struggles with the "complexity" of some games, even Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol, some actions are not obvious to her. She enjoys Minecraft but basically she just runs around making up her own story. There is just no way she will grasp the inventory system at this point.

So yes, games have become more "complex" in how to play them, and it is assumed that the player has some basic understanding of how to play a game. This is something that was not required decades ago.

I think there's more complexity to most games, though there are still plenty of simpler titles to choose from. I do think that games are a lot more forgiving today though, games back in the day were quite brutal and demanded a lot of time and concentration.

I remember when the Playstation first came out and you had the ability to save your progress to a memory card - at the time it felt to me like cheating!

Older gamers have also had more time to play different games and try to adapt to every genre's mechanics. We also have much more patience when it comes to trying to get into a new game that might be challenging for newer players that don't have any or a lot of experience. The newer generation has learned to try their hand and if they are struggling they immediately give up and move on to something else. What should be done as parents in my opinion is discipline children so that they are encouraged to keep trying at least for a while before they give up, if they give up without trying then as they grow up, that's exactly what they will do in IRL situations. Also learning controls and camera movement, especially for shooters etc., is something that comes with training and diligence. I'd recommend if the gamer in question doesn't play a lot of games, meaning casually, let them learn to play with a controller instead of mouse and keyboard, otherwise if they want to be competitive or play games more regularly then encourage them to practice on mouse and keyboard. It will take maybe 3-4 weeks until they become fairly proficient.

Older gamers have also had more time to play different games and try to adapt to every genre's mechanics. We also have much more patience when it comes to trying to get into a new game that might be challenging for newer players that don't have any or a lot of experience. The newer generation has learned to try their hand and if they are struggling they immediately give up and move on to something else. What should be done as parents in my opinion is discipline children so that they are encouraged to keep trying at least for a while before they give up, if they give up without trying then as they grow up, that's exactly what they will do in IRL situations. Also learning controls and camera movement, especially for shooters etc., is something that comes with training and diligence. I'd recommend if the gamer in question doesn't play a lot of games, meaning casually, let them learn to play with a controller instead of mouse and keyboard, otherwise if they want to be competitive or play games more regularly then encourage them to practice on mouse and keyboard. It will take maybe 3-4 weeks until they become fairly proficient.
Was worried about this he just hits pause and jumps to next area so been trying to show him especially where I miss a jump or whatever that I get it on the next time to try and encourage him to try more.

Older games were simpler, mainly because they 2D with 4 direction control buttons and 1 or 2 action buttons. Almost anybody could pick up a game like Mario or Contra and figure out how to play within a few minutes and enjoy themselves. What these games lacked in complexity, they gained in difficulty which required you to practise and practise in order to finish levels and the game.

I also see my daughter struggles with the "complexity" of some games, even Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol, some actions are not obvious to her. She enjoys Minecraft but basically she just runs around making up her own story. There is just no way she will grasp the inventory system at this point.

So yes, games have become more "complex" in how to play them, and it is assumed that the player has some basic understanding of how to play a game. This is something that was not required decades ago.
Yup he didn't understand collectibles in paw patrol collected a few and then just ran past. I feel like things are more obvious to experienced gamers.

For Peppa he initially just wanted to run around then design a new character until he wanted to go to potato city then realized he has to finish everything in one character to finish the game

Considering the controller looked like this:

1715343420790.jpeg

Yes I think you are correct.

DualSense has a zillion buttons and we’re still asking for more!

When I compare how I was playing when I was 5 years old (PS1 gen, the Sims/Rayman 2 on PC) and how my little cousin plays now at 5 years old on PS5, I'm surprised at how good she is.

I couldn't get past the first level of James Bond The World is Not Enough because I couldn't master the aiming part to hit all the cctv cameras.
This kid is aiming with gyro and blasting monkeys and gathering a bot army in Astrobot with minimal effort, she's basically mastered the Astrobot parts outside of the monkey/flying suits

In Rayman 2 I couldn't master the timing of a double jump in the 2nd level. This kid double jumps like nothing.

Paw Patrol and Bluey is a walk in the park and she builds crazy houses in Minecraft too.

I also think part of it is having parents that are lenient. I remember my game time being very limited compared to what my little cousin has, and more practice can only make you better.

When I compare how I was playing when I was 5 years old (PS1 gen, the Sims/Rayman 2 on PC) and how my little cousin plays now at 5 years old on PS5, I'm surprised at how good she is.

I couldn't get past the first level of James Bond The World is Not Enough because I couldn't master the aiming part to hit all the cctv cameras.
This kid is aiming with gyro and blasting monkeys and gathering a bot army in Astrobot with minimal effort, she's basically mastered the Astrobot parts outside of the monkey/flying suits

In Rayman 2 I couldn't master the timing of a double jump in the 2nd level. This kid double jumps like nothing.

Paw Patrol and Bluey is a walk in the park and she builds crazy houses in Minecraft too.

I also think part of it is having parents that are lenient. I remember my game time being very limited compared to what my little cousin has, and more practice can only make you better.
Sounds like practice does make perfect. I think overtime with a lot of practice things even out.

As a start though still think older gamers having grown up and learning mechanics have an easier time settling in

The problem is most of us grew with games being just games, there's too much unnecessary kak in modern games that isn't worth comprehending especially for kids. We kinda of progressed with the games as they got more complicated and intricate.

Now kids have everything and it's confusing if they havnt got the general basics down yet. But on the other hand there are prodigys who just play fortnight or cod and will wreck any of us old gamers.

When I was a kid just starting to play games the only point was to get as far as possible in most games. Wasn't much besides skill to get in the way of progress now there is collectibles and puzzles and all kinds of boring stuff that get in the way and make kids lose interest.

Last edited:
Simple games like Peppa Pig are a breeze, but more complex ones like Astros Playroom can be tough for the little ones. Learning game mechanics has definitely evolved over generations.

"Older gamers had it easier" - I never made it past the trampoline level of Circus Charlie!
Well, not everyone can be good at games

Below was absolute BS though, stuff that game.

be6c71e9592eff4ba5cd6eea11871619.jpg

My 6yo girl wants to game but gets fustrated easly

am looking for my gamecube controller since i got a GC to USB converter and a massive library of retro roms

that or the xb controller to the HTPC in the lounge.

Bluey she likes but the game isnt bug free ;/

as for things like kart games etc bought blaze and the monster machines cuase she loves the show just doesnt seem to do justice for her. had a paw patrol game for the NDS emu and she makes me play the game more than her.

turns out i think she just likes the idea but doesnt grasp the actions etc

besides that controllers are HUGE compared to when we grew up so am planning on trying again to get those 8bitdo what ever you called controllers so she can play some retro games

sonic hedgehog was a no apparently ;/ but yes older games had it easier that and graphics were simplier then that what kids are exposed to now even series wise i mean everything is 3D they lack low colours and shapes to be honest.

I think depending on when you were exposed to gaming. Remember the tech was also cutting edge back then. These days most kids are playing subway surfers before they can use the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom