Google TV - LG C1 - HDR Issue

AdrianH

Super Moderator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Picked up an issue with Google TV and HDR.

I watch several streaming services that have a variety of SD, HD, UHD with HDR or Dolby Vision. Google TV is set to 4K@60, Dolby Vision (Low Latency). Also, setting the Google TV to Dolby Vision means it will switch to HDR instead if Dolby Vision is not in video but HDR is. So basically the pecking order is = Dolby Vision, then HDR, then SDR.

A few times now, when watching a UHD program without Dolby Vision support but HDR support, the TV never changes to HDR. This occurs in Amazon Prime and YouTube, so not an app problem. I would then start rebooting and fiddling with display settings on the Google TV, and normally it would work again after a while.

Tonight though, the same happened again. After much messing around, I found out if I change to Dolby Vision (Low Latency) from Dolby Vision (Standard), then HDR is triggered on the TV correctly when a HDR video is played. So I can actually reproduce the issue. Googling the issue it seems the Google TV has a bug where sometimes after a reboot, the Dolby Vision (Low Latency) is changed to Dolby Vision (Standard) which explains why it happens every now and again.

Can anybody explain what is the difference between DV Standard and DV Low Latency, and why DV (Standard) would it stop the HDR from triggering?

@KenMasters maybe you can shed some light on these DV options?

Low latency DV is another name for player led DV - it’s for TVs that don’t support Dolby Vision. It essentially coverts DV to HDR10 and passes the signal onto your TV that way.

If your TV supports Dolby Vision, you should use the standard mode, otherwise you will be getting inferior results.

Though looking it up, it seems Google TV has some issue displaying HDR10 when DV is enabled for some people - might just be an unfortunate quirk of the device.

Additionally, does the Google TV have a frame matching feature? As 60Hz playback would introduce judder in film and most TV content (which run at 24fps).

EDIT:

Last edited:
Low latency DV is another name for player led DV - it’s for TVs that don’t support Dolby Vision. It essentially coverts DV to HDR10 and passes the signal onto your TV that way.

If your TV supports Dolby Vision, you should use the standard mode, otherwise you will be getting inferior results.

Though looking it up, it seems Google TV has some issue displaying HDR10 when DV is enabled for some people - might just be an unfortunate quirk of the device.

Additionally, does the Google TV have a frame matching feature? As 60Hz playback would introduce judder in film and most TV content (which run at 24fps).

EDIT:

Thanks for that.

Indeed there is a bug somewhere in the Google device with regards to DV (Standard) and HDR10 not working correctly.

Yes, it has frame-rate matching but each app must implement it. Currently it seems only Netflix has supported this and will only switch the rate if "non-seamless" is enabled as opposed to "seamless". So I get a black screen for about a second while it switches the frame-rate. But using the 8 button press of the green button on the remote, I can see the change.

3d9265cbdf59960ed284aecc1ead5a6e.jpg

I would rather get a Roku before an Apple TV. At least that way I still get to keep my self respect

Hate Apple as much as you like but in this space their device is the best by a large margin.

Hate Apple as much as you like but in this space their device is the best by a large margin.
For 3 times the price of a Google TV or Roku, I would expect that.

Still, I think on my next round I will move back to Roku. I had two Roku 3s back in SA and they were fantastic.

For 3 times the price of a Google TV or Roku, I would expect that.

Still, I think on my next round I will move back to Roku. I had two Roku 3s back in SA and they were fantastic.

I didn’t even know they still exist.

I didn’t even know they still exist.
They have expanded in recent years. They also sell Roku TVs and Streambars (streamer and soundbar) in addition to standard streaming devices. They also support Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant, Airplay, casting.

They are pretty neat devices overall. I think they only sell in Europe and US though, I often see them in shops like Currys.

If you can afford to get an Apple TV, rather go with that.

From a quick Google, the Roku Express 4K doesn’t support Dolby Vision or Atmos - which I would imagine you’d want support for.

Also not a big Apple fan, but it’s a slick streaming device.

4K Roku Express is the cheaper of the two 4k devices, you want this one. It's still a bargain at £49 compared to £149 to Apple TV. I actually would have thought to support Airplay the license would inflate the price of the Roku.

Ah, I am just fond of Roku in the end and it's just a streaming device

Roku Streaming Stick 4K is faster and more powerful than ever. The redesigned long-range Wi-Fi receiver is super-charged with up to 2x the speed—exactly what you need for smooth streaming in spectacular 4K, Dolby Vision, and HDR10+ picture.

It does support Dolby Atmos as well.

Last edited:
In that case it looks like a good alternative. If you don’t have any other Apple devices and it does the framerate and format matching properly, it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom