Home Assistant

Kung Fu Porkchop

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Can you explain how you use GPS presence with your setup?
I assume you have a setup that will open your gate/garage door when your cellphone is in a specific range?
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.
And you don't use any Android devices? All iOS

Can you explain how you use GPS presence with your setup?
I assume you have a setup that will open your gate/garage door when your cellphone is in a specific range?
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.
And you don't use any Android devices? All iOS
Technically the Amazon Fire Tablets are "Android" but also not, but yes all iOS/iPadOS/MacOS.

To answer the question I have Presence Detection primarily from my phone and the Home Assistant for iOS app running on there which updates the GPS location almost in real time and then inside Home Assistant I have Zones configured which updates familiar locations that also do some stuff (like the kid's school and my and wife's office location etc so that triggers notifications when you enter or leave them and so on).

As a secondary I also use the data from UniFi OS to know when my phone has left or returned home, just in case for whatever reason the GPS doesn't fail. This is a lot slower as I need to actually connect to the WiFi before it triggers. It works well as having left the home trigger though which is normally faster than GPS.

So yeah I have a person.sauron entity which received updates from both of the above integrations and will then update to "home" or "not_home/away" and based on those changes it will kick off an automation that will check if my Front Gate is open and either alert me if I've left or leave it open if I just came home. If it's closed then it will open it for X amount of time and then close it again. Same for alarm and garage door it will check if it's closed/open or armed/disarmed and then update it accordingly. Once finally change the light switches in my garage I will also add stuff like turning on the garage lights for 5 minutes if it's after dark and so on.

The Aqara sensors have proven quite unreliable so sometimes the status reported is wrong and I've specifically configured it not to take any action then from a pure safety perspective and then because I ride with AirPods in I just go "Hey Siri, open the house" and that will open the doors which is fine as in those scenarios I don't need to worry about the alarm.

There are other more local ways to do it like Bluetooth polling or even NFC stuff, you could even go so far as image recognition off a camera but that is all way more complex than I needed and honestly I'm the type of person who keeps things as simple as possible.

Technically the Amazon Fire Tablets are "Android" but also not, but yes all iOS/iPadOS/MacOS.

To answer the question I have Presence Detection primarily from my phone and the Home Assistant for iOS app running on there which updates the GPS location almost in real time and then inside Home Assistant I have Zones configured which updates familiar locations that also do some stuff (like the kid's school and my and wife's office location etc so that triggers notifications when you enter or leave them and so on).

As a secondary I also use the data from UniFi OS to know when my phone has left or returned home, just in case for whatever reason the GPS doesn't fail. This is a lot slower as I need to actually connect to the WiFi before it triggers. It works well as having left the home trigger though which is normally faster than GPS.

So yeah I have a person.sauron entity which received updates from both of the above integrations and will then update to "home" or "not_home/away" and based on those changes it will kick off an automation that will check if my Front Gate is open and either alert me if I've left or leave it open if I just came home. If it's closed then it will open it for X amount of time and then close it again. Same for alarm and garage door it will check if it's closed/open or armed/disarmed and then update it accordingly. Once finally change the light switches in my garage I will also add stuff like turning on the garage lights for 5 minutes if it's after dark and so on.

The Aqara sensors have proven quite unreliable so sometimes the status reported is wrong and I've specifically configured it not to take any action then from a pure safety perspective and then because I ride with AirPods in I just go "Hey Siri, open the house" and that will open the doors which is fine as in those scenarios I don't need to worry about the alarm.

There are other more local ways to do it like Bluetooth polling or even NFC stuff, you could even go so far as image recognition off a camera but that is all way more complex than I needed and honestly I'm the type of person who keeps things as simple as possible.
That's awesome man. Something I'll eventually get to when I start with the home automation thing. At this point we have Android, so it'll be slightly different. I still need to decide if I'll go the Google, Alexa or whichever route

That's awesome man. Something I'll eventually get to when I start with the home automation thing. At this point we have Android, so it'll be slightly different. I still need to decide if I'll go the Google, Alexa or whichever route
Use Home Assistant.

It is agnostic to which provider you choose.

@SauRoN

PS: I think we need a Home Assistant thread to flex our setups LOL

Use Home Assistant.

@SauRoN

Which makes me wonder if the other Chris* ever made it here.

Use Home Assistant.

@SauRoN

What's the best device to run Home Assistant on? I've heard that a Raspberry Pi is a little lacking when it comes to performance, especially when you have a lot of devices and run dashboards etc. I see @SauRoN runs Chromeboxes, but that'll mean I need to import. I'm fairly new to the home automation thing, so I'll appreciate as much guidance as I can get

What's the best device to run Home Assistant on? I've heard that a Raspberry Pi is a little lacking when it comes to performance, especially when you have a lot of devices and run dashboards etc. I see @SauRoN runs Chromeboxes, but that'll mean I need to import. I'm fairly new to the home automation thing, so I'll appreciate as much guidance as I can get

I don’t think the Pi is bad for Home Assistant itself, the problem is down the line you start putting all sorts of other stuff on it and then you run out of juice fast.

Any old PC will do but if you want compact an Intel NUC is the winner. I wouldn’t specially go buy a Chromebox for it, I just had a couple company wrote off and I got for next to nothing.

Previously ran in on my HP Microserver but that was in Docker which had some limitations due to not running the entire Home Assistant OS.

They also have their own boxes you could buy now, but definitely import in that case.

Depends on what your needs are.

I had HA running on a RPi3 1gb memory. It was fine for HA, but as soon as I added HA add-ons, the memory would fill up causing SD card swapping. I upgraded to a RPi4 2gb and it's been fine with the extra memory.

If you plan to use the RPi for HA standalone, then performance is great.

Depends on what your needs are.

I had HA running on a RPi3 1gb memory. It was fine for HA, but as soon as I added HA add-ons, the memory would fill up causing SD card swapping. I upgraded to a RPi4 2gb and it's been fine with the extra memory.

If you plan to use the RPi for HA standalone, then performance is great.

Oh I should have qualified I assumed the latest Pi with the 4GB memory.

The Tuya integration has been updated to no longer requires a Tuya IOT Developer account in order to integrate Tuya and Home Assistant.

Tuya has provided an easier and improved login method for Home Assistant users. Having a developer account with Tuya is no longer required; instead, you can scan a QR code with your Tuya Smart of Smart Life app to authenticate it with Home Assistant.

After the upgrade, Home Assistant will ask you to re-authenticate your Tuya Smart or Smart Life account using this new method.

1707913112396.png

1707913123487.png

Back
Top Bottom