LG Oled Refresh Rate

AdrianH

Super Moderator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
The Hz reading on LG Oled, is that the signal Hz, or the Hz of the panel.

I ask because on Fallout 4 with next-gen patch, the quality mode is said to be running at 40FPS (according to tech reviews), and TV says 120Hz. Yet on performance mode, the game runs at 60FPS and the TV says 60Hz. I would have thought the TV would have doubled the Hz to 120Hz?

Probably something for @KenMasters

Performance @ 60FPS

e939d1b46fbe0174e763d266ceeac99b.jpg

Quality @ 40FPS

c717b150b6ab86f4e222d299e116f2da.jpg

60Hz is the standard rate for TV. When displaying 60Hz content the TV will display in that mode. 40fps doesn’t fit the standard though and can only be displayed at 120Hz.

Last edited:
60Hz is the standard rate for TV. When displaying 60Hz content the TV will display in that mode. 40fps doesn’t fit the standard though and can only be displayed at 120Hz.
What is the Hz value on the TV actually represent, the signal Hz or the panel Hz?

EG: The quality mode is 40FPS but TV says 120Hz. So is the TV receiving 40Hz from the console and TV changes the Hz to 40Hz X 3 = 120Hz, or does the console output 120Hz?

What is the Hz value on the TV actually represent, the signal Hz or the panel Hz?

EG: The quality mode is 40FPS but TV says 120Hz. So is the TV receiving 40Hz from the console and TV changes the Hz to 40Hz X 3 = 120Hz, or does the console output 120Hz?

I would imagine the TV displays the incoming signal, else the option wouldn’t serve a purpose (as it would always be constant).

So I would say the console is using 120Hz VRR to send a 40Hz signal, which displays as 120Hz due to Low Framerate Compensation.

I would imagine the TV displays the incoming signal, else the option wouldn’t serve a purpose (as it would always be constant).

So I would say the console is using 120Hz VRR to send a 40Hz signal, which displays as 120Hz due to Low Framerate Compensation.

I think you're correct.

Was watching a 24FPS movie on Netflix and the Hz value was 24. So it must be the Hz (fixed or VRR) signal from the connected device.

Just found it odd that for Fallout performance mode being 60FPS, it also sends 60Hz instead of 120Hz if TV supports it. Maybe Bethesda just decided to keep things simple for performance 60FPS and not worry about 120Hz TVs.

Just found it odd that for Fallout performance mode being 60FPS, it also sends 60Hz instead of 120Hz if TV supports it. Maybe Bethesda just decided to keep things simple for performance 60FPS and not worry about 120Hz TVs.

VRR also operates at 60Hz, with that then being the refresh ceiling.

EDIT: If the game has a 60fps target, that’s going to be the output - VRR will clean up minor drops within that window.

The game would need an unlocked 120fps mode for 120Hz output - which would require developers to make quality sacrifices over the 60fps mode.

The Xbox does allow you to force 120Hz output though, but then you can expect to see double images on a 60fps title.

Last edited:
VRR also operates at 60Hz, with that then being the refresh ceiling.

EDIT: If the game has a 60fps target, that’s going to be the output - VRR will clean up minor drops within that window.

The game would need an unlocked 120fps mode for 120Hz output - which would require developers to make quality sacrifices over the 60fps mode.

The Xbox does allow you to force 120Hz output though, but then you can expect to see double images on a 60fps title.
I'll test on my XB during the week and see what it does compared to PS5, as I am currently playing in PS5 (for those trophies ).

Back
Top Bottom