Next Xbox Console (Project Helix)

Next Xbox Console (Project Helix)
I watched the GDC presentation, nothing we didn't know before, except that maybe Helix is a bit further out than we may have thought, given alpha units are only going out to devs in 2027.

As expected, going forward an Xbox game will be a PC game, there won't be a console specific split. The ROG Xbox Ally is the first taste of the interface, which they will continue to iterate on, and will be distributed to Windows 11 starting in April. It will also support Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One titles - though they didn't go into specifics.

pasted-image-25.webp
 
Last edited:
Presuming these are dev kits, would MS be aiming for consumer release for end of 2027 or later? I would imagine MS would want them out before Xmas.

I’m excited to share we plan to ship alpha versions of the hardware to developers beginning in 2027.

 
I still would love to know what they mean by "PC Games" in this context.
(It's giving me "Nvidia claims" vibes of 4090 performance on a 5070. Same energy, where it could be "technically correct" just not factually / fully correct)

The reason for my skepticism is that current gen also has "play anywhere", but only for games purchased on their store.
Currently if you buy an Xbox game on Steam, it's pretty much only playable on PC. But if you buy it on the Xbox app, you can play it on PC or your console.

So I'm curious to see if this does end up translating to Steam being available on their console.
Or if they will walk it back and stick to the current implementation.
If it can play game purchased on Steam, then this could be a great alternative to the Steam Machine.
 
Presuming these are dev kits, would MS be aiming for consumer release for end of 2027 or later? I would imagine MS would want them out before Xmas.

I wouldn't think a Helix specific dev kit is required, since a PC game will be an Xbox game. I would imagine these are pre-production models so developers can assess their games on it.
 
The reason for my skepticism is that current gen also has "play anywhere", but only for games purchased on their store.
Currently if you buy an Xbox game on Steam, it's pretty much only playable on PC. But if you buy it on the Xbox app, you can play it on PC or your console.

That would be a "selling point" why to purchase from Xbox store I guess. Another reason for this hardware is the backwards compatible library which may not be available on traditional PCs.

I think those 3rd store fronts will be on the hardware. The question is will the games run in the Xbox mode which will be optimised for best gaming performance?
 
That would be a "selling point" why to purchase from Xbox store I guess. Another reason for this hardware is the backwards compatible library which may not be available on traditional PCs.

From what I understand of the presentation, the hardware via AMD and software via MS will be unified across platforms.

I think those 3rd store fronts will be on the hardware. The question is will the games run in the Xbox mode which will be optimised for best gaming performance?

You just have to look to the ROG to see what they're doing, Xbox is a platform now rather than a single device. The games will have presets to suit the hardware they're on and new console like features are to be introduced through the updated direct X, supported by future AMD cards.
 
That would be a "selling point" why to purchase from Xbox store I guess. Another reason for this hardware is the backwards compatible library which may not be available on traditional PCs.

I think those 3rd store fronts will be on the hardware. The question is will the games run in the Xbox mode which will be optimised for best gaming performance?
Great point is a good selling point for some and I could see why many would.

Same for game pass, I can see the appeal of having something like that on both PC and console.
I tried out game pass when I had a free trial and it's a great service to have access to so many games on both PC and console, with saved data and achievements carrying over to both.

My personal preference is I would still rather buy on steam purely because they are more consumer friendly and have a better refund policy.
Plus a nice added bonus is that if you're an achievement hunter, any achievements for the steam version of Xbox games unlocks the Steam Achievement along with the Xbox achievement.

So I personally still see more value in buying their games on Steam for now.
Which is why having steam available on the console itself would be a huge win, and I might honestly get an Xbox instead of a Steam Machine, depending on the price and performance, if this turns out to be true.
 
Regarding if MS will subsidise the new Xbox or not.

Based on what I currently understand of the new Xbox, here are some reasons I believe why it won't subsidised:
  1. Buying a game will not be limited to buying from Xbox store, therefore reducing store revenue for MS
  2. If the Xbox is a PC, selling it cheap means people will use it for non‑gaming tasks and under cutting MS.
  3. Basically the ecosystem (Xbox and GamePass) is not guaranteed just because a person bought the hardware
I believe they will likely offer "extras" instead of subsidy. Below are some ideas:
  1. Includes a Game Pass subscription for period of time.
  2. Discount when buying from XBox store from Xbox hardware.
  3. Cross device "pick-up and continue" with cloud saves.
    1. Much like mentioned yesterday, maybe this is locked into XBox store purchased games and Xbox licensed hardware.
  4. Quick resume and instant switching between games
  5. Backwards compatibility of XB, XB360, XB1, XBX/S
So I don't believe the hardware will be subsidised, its going to be pricey. I do believe they will entice people to buy new XBox buy offering discounted extra and possible exclusive features to the XBox hardware.
 
Xbox is in such a mess right now, simply because they lost the basic ideology of being a gamer centric company, I will forever miss the hey days of the 360.
 
Back
Top Bottom