UK's first-ever womb transplant hailed by doctors as 'dawn of new era' in fertility treatment

UK's first-ever womb transplant hailed by doctors as 'dawn of new era' in fertility treatment

AdrianH

Administrator
The first-ever womb transplant in the UK has been hailed as the "dawn of a new era" in fertility treatment.

A 40-year-old woman, who already had two children, decided to help her 34-year-old sister, who had been born without a uterus.

Now, six months on, the recipient is having periods and is preparing to eventually have her own embryos implanted, already created via IVF with her own eggs.

 
I do wonder though if the sister will be able to fall pregnant. I would imagine that if she falls pregnant, she will likely be under high observation, and will probably have c-section quite early to try mitigate any issue that may crop up.

Very interesting.
 
I do wonder though if the sister will be able to fall pregnant. I would imagine that if she falls pregnant, she will likely be under high observation, and will probably have c-section quite early to try mitigate any issue that may crop up.

Very interesting.

For sure since it's the first she will be under constant observation. I'm sure getting periods are a good sign and if they can't conceive natutrally they will try artificial insemination. Really hope it works out.
 
Back
Top Bottom