Health and Fitness

Hmm.
I am 215cm, at 116KG now.
Thinking just get fitter, trim the paunch, more 'lung' capacity....ie stamina. 110 should be ideal ?

Using your numbers and entering your age as 45, Healthy BMI range would be 85-115kg, ideal weight between 91-106.7kg*.

*EDIT: It depends on the formula - this ideal is a spread of the top three most common (Robinson / Miller / Devine).

Last edited:
Perhaps a fat loss phase would be better? The leaner you get, the more your endurance improves. Not to mention overall health markers improving as well.

How long have you been doing the keto thing? Bear in mind, despite its popular adoption, it's a drastic diet and not healthy to sustain for too long.

As someone that occasionally cut weight through keto, I remember the feeling of craving pastry and giving in to cheat days. It's very effective, but not sustainable over long stretches - and certainly not a good lifestyle choice.

Maybe it's time you start to transition to a sustainable long term diet - fruits, greens, nuts, oats, preferred protein sources in reasonable daily portions. It doesn't mean not eating burgers, chips and ice-cream - there's good nutrition in there too - just try to keep that sort of thing to the weekend.

EDIT: Consider starting the weight training you mentioned as well. Not only is it important to maintain your physical health, it's key in maintaining your mental faculties into old age as well.

I did it from mid-April until mid July, lost the 11 KG in those 4 months

Then went on holiday and picked up less than 1 KG in that week, and went back onto Keto shortly ofterwards and lost that again at end of August. So sitting at 85 KGs again, hasn't moved one way or the other in the last few weeks. Also haven't been that strict on Keto, probably eating too many calories as well I think. I would like to drop down to 80KG, basically to lose some fat around my waist.

I am struggling to get into training to be honest. Been to the gym 5 times in last 3 weeks. I still walk a few times a week which is nice in summer, but won't be as nice in Winter months.

According to this, at 1.75 I am on the yellow upper limit of 28.

1695027649756.png

It's 10 years ago this month that I was in the best shape of my life, a 35th birthday present to myself.

I took two vanity pics to post on the old Fitness thread - glad I did it as it is nice to have something to verify the memory with, but it is hard to reconcile that with what I see in the mirror today.

Every now and then I get the idea that I should do it again, but then I remember the weekends I could barely make a flight of stairs, the mix of desire and resentment at the sight of pastry and how low my libido was and I'm okay with it :)

Last edited:
Strained my rectus abdominis, quite an uncomfortable sensation. Taken the week off, hoping that's enough time to recover.

Started an upper body focused program this past Sunday. I’ve been mostly doing a full body split spread over 5 days, so it feels a little strange committing to something new.

Hopefully it pays off over the course of the next few months.

I have made peace with my 54 year old body, I am semi-fit, only have pains in my legs when I drive for more than an hour and can walk 18 km per day when I am on holiday.

I am not thin, and have never been thin, but I am not completely obese.

Me and my wife who is 63 years old.

granada.jpg

Last edited:
Been enjoying the new split. Upper body volume spread over 3 days is a lot more manageable than I thought it would be. Still feels a little iffy decreasing the amount of sets for legs but I haven’t seen any meaningful decrease in size. I’ll probably run this program for another six weeks and then decide where to go from there.

So I have been under 82kg for over a week now. Hovering around 81.7KG since Monday.
I did Keto like you for a long time. Lost a lot of weight (and i wasn't even overweight but i like being light) and i found the diet to be fairly easy.

However i had shortcomings with it, i'm not a fan of vegetables and eating leafy greens on Keto is important. I did have a lot of carb cravings, with a Greek heritage i must have some built in uber desire for bread lol.

For the last 5 years or so i've been doing intermittent fasting and that been the easiest diet (lifestyle) to follow by far. Weight is consistent, energy levels throughout the working day are great (no lunch dips), saves time and money and when i do eat i eat whatever i want (i am a lot better with vegetables now though).

Every now and then i do a longer fast, trying to get the benefits of autophagy. At some point this year i really want to do a 3 day fast and make that a quarterly thing.

I don't have any dietary issues, I enjoy eating healthily, fruit, veg, nuts, oats, meat and don't have a taste for soda or sweets. My one excess was alcohol, no drinks during the week but a lot of social drinking on the weekend.

About two years ago or so I started to really think about the amount of alcohol we consume, looking into its impact on health and so forth and decided I should cut back. My wife wasn't that into it so it was slow going, but in the last year or so my general consumption has reduced significantly and actually my wife and some friends are following suit (a lot of repeat discussion behind that process).

Counter-intuitively though, I've gained weight rather than lost it drinking less alcohol. My body composition hasn't change, so going theory is that I'm building and retaining more muscle than I used to during the weekend recovery period. That's my hope at least - it's that or my age is catching up to me.

I did Keto like you for a long time. Lost a lot of weight (and i wasn't even overweight but i like being light) and i found the diet to be fairly easy.

However i had shortcomings with it, i'm not a fan of vegetables and eating leafy greens on Keto is important. I did have a lot of carb cravings, with a Greek heritage i must have some built in uber desire for bread lol.

For the last 5 years or so i've been doing intermittent fasting and that been the easiest diet (lifestyle) to follow by far. Weight is consistent, energy levels throughout the working day are great (no lunch dips), saves time and money and when i do eat i eat whatever i want (i am a lot better with vegetables now though).

Every now and then i do a longer fast, trying to get the benefits of autophagy. At some point this year i really want to do a 3 day fast and make that a quarterly thing.

I agree with the fasting.

I don't do intermittent fasting as per definition, I just try stop eating from 8pm or so and then try not eat for 10am or 11am next day. I have noticed this helps with energy levels and weight loss.

It's a lifestyle change method that works for me.

Congratulations on your weight loss through the Keto diet! Your dedication is inspiring, and it's great to see you've found a sustainable approach to healthier eating. Keep up the good work, and best of luck reaching your 80KG goal!

Anything that helps you to lose weight and keep it off is the best diet. If you have a yo-yo effect, then you need to take a close look at your dieting habits.

I eat pretty much anything I want, but I tend to eat more carbs than fats because they are a better source of fuel for my workouts.

I had to take a break from gym for two weeks. I overdid it in the runup to Easter holiday since I knew I'd be taking a week off and developed bursitis in both feet! They still hurt a bit but the doctor said it was fine to go back to training. Did my first session yesterday and no problems, just swopping out the run to and from the gym for a cycle in the meantime.

Man, kudos to you for sticking with Keto, especially during those rough early days. Figuring out what's on the menu and what's a no-go can be a pain.

Was prioritizing upper body over the last few months and I’ve seen some decent results. Going back to a full body split from next week. Going to be interesting to see if my legs will be able to handle the increase in volume.

Back
Top Bottom