Forums are not mainstream anymore, and unlikely to ever be again. The old SAGamer was in decline for years before being shutdown. I think there were a few reasons for this.
- The forum admins lack of motivation to modernise the forum, it didn't display on mobile devices which was a problem for people wanting to register and engage.
- Continuing from above, the forum became toxic as not much moderation was happening. This ultimately lead to people leaving.
- Many of the forum regulars probably all join during the 2000s decade and had grown up and now had families and other responsibilities. The lead to declining engagement.
- Forum admins which also ran RARU started having issues fulfilling orders and many complaints were made directly on the forum about why they were not getting refunds timeously. My understanding as I was not really active at the time was that these complaint and criticisms where deleted (censored) which lead to more people leaving the forum.
- RARU went bust and the forum was taken offline for over a year, the remaining members moved into other community mediums.
I doubt the forum will ever recover to what it was, but it's for anyone wanting to engage.
Apologies, for the Necroposting on the topic of Raru.
I was actually wondering about that today, so I decided to search for it on this form to see if there was any discussion about it.
I also made an order on Raru, just a few weeks before they went offline.
But I didn't know about the issues because I started to avoid the old SA Gamer like the plague.
(Even if I didn't, it sounds like it would not have helped if they were deleting comments related to it)
Raru is the main reason why I avoid online shopping in South Africa to this day (for smaller companies), unless if they support PayPal payments, because then at least I can get a refund.
I made a 5K order, and the money was just gone, with no way to get it back.
What made it worse is that I genuinely trusted them before this and even recommended them, so a family member of mine also made a purchase there during those final weeks due to my recommendation and then lost their money too.
The correct thing to do in a situation like that when you know you can't honor the orders, is to then simply disable the ability to place orders on your website.
Anyone who knows how to code, should be able to implement a simple feature flag to enable or disable orders, and I would consider it quite basic in terms of coding skill and knowledge required in order to implement it.
They absolutely didn't do it on purpose, and that much I'm sure of.
At the very least it was dishonest, at it worst, it was outright theft.
Anyway, on the topic of the new SA Gamer.
I know I'm not always the most pleasant person to deal with (apologies, I blame my tism for it), but I agree, the new SA Gamer is much better in every regard.
Thank you for tolerating me

I'll try and do better.