Next Xbox Console (Project Helix)

They had like 4 things to announce and still cocked up.

Diablo IV is not coming to 34 million users as stated because it’s not coming to Core. So knock about 11 million off that number.

It was good that they just said outright no on Starfield or IJ. 4 smaller or older or live service games going over is a good move. Only upside there.

The hardware stuff just sounded like nonesense to be honest. Largest tech leap EVAR!!! Complete with secret sauce again I’m sure.

So anti MS [emoji1787][emoji1787]
 
Apparently the next XBOX is more PC like with rumoured access to multiple store fronts like steam, epic, gog, etc. If that's the case then sign me up because you know what that means? PS games as well so that we can finally have once console to rule them all. Will probably be some set top PC running a customised windows and give devs a set of specs to target. They could in theory just incrementally update the box annually like phones and keep costs down like that due to scale. Maybe this time they name it XBOX XX (XX denoting the year). Pretty much their only move imo as a straight forward competitor to PS seems like it's not going to happen. The streaming device rumours I've heard were an XBOX licensed hand held to be released within the next year and the official device with the next box.
 

Xbox Hardware Isn't Dead But 'Big Changes' Are Coming, Says Digital Foundry​

In recent weeks, and in the wake of the ROG Xbox Ally, there's been lots of speculation about the future of Xbox hardware and where Microsoft is taking things - and over the past few days, the folks over at Digital Foundry have had their say on proceedings. The DF team believes that Xbox is still taking hardware seriously, but that it'll undergo "big changes" for the next generation.

We've chucked their lengthy discussion up above for you to take a look at; where Richard, John and Oliver make a number of interesting Xbox hardware-related points. Oliver talks about how they believe Xbox will become more like Windows Surface - where multiple manufacturers produce Xbox 'systems' rather than one defined next-gen console.

"We see this in the Windows space with Surface devices, where Microsoft participates in the Windows ecosystem but they're not necessarily the only players in that ecosystem - they are one of many players in the ecosystem.

The Xbox, traditionally with the last four generations of hardware, has been a pretty strong vision. Here is an Xbox Series X, we're going to support it for a generation, it has a console OS, it has exclusive games [...] it will go to-toe-to with PlayStation with competitive pricing... this isn't that, or at least to some degree it's not that - in significant ways it's not that vision."


John goes on to largely agree with that sentiment, adding that Windows-like devices feel like "the only way forward at this point" - after the ROG Xbox Ally announcement and everything else that's gone on with Microsoft over the last year or two. John believes that there's "not really any reason for consumers to embrace" a traditional console from Microsoft as it begins to sell its 'Xbox is anywhere' vision to players on pretty much any device.

Anyway, we think this is a pretty interesting discussion, and while Microsoft is the only one that truly knows its next-gen plans, we do think DF makes some very logical and valid points here. Xbox hardware is indeed sticking around, but it's clear that the next generation will be very different in terms of how a traditional console cycle plays out.

 
Access to all the stores is incredible.

Are you excited for the switch to a PC oriented platform? In all likelihood it means higher prices for the hardware and less optimised software - not to mention the FOMO that comes with more frequent hardware updates.
 
Are you excited for the switch to a PC oriented platform? In all likelihood it means higher prices for the hardware and less optimised software - not to mention the FOMO that comes with more frequent hardware updates.

I am sort of excited, excited to see where thigs are going. I think access to other stores I think is a great feature though. There's no real info on the actual console hardware, but there was a recent article that the new XBox will have a "PC" based CPU meaning that porting between PC and console should be also non-existent. If this is the case, developers would also be able to easily identify if the game is on a PC or console and pre-configure the console version, and also what configs would be allowed to be changed on PC or console. Performance could even be better as the code optimisations should affect PC and console simultaneously.


I also read yesterday that on PC and Rog Ally the XBox store now has access to Epic, Steam, and a few others and saves are syncs across devices which is fantastic.


Personally I don't know how important this "pc console" is to me as ultimately I just want plug & play, and the ability to play between my consoles which I have anyway, and any hardware upgrades if MS make them available would be very limited and likely expensive. What I would be more interested in is a proper docking system for the handheld so that I could use it like the Nintendo Switch, either portable or connected to TV.
 
I am sort of excited, excited to see where thigs are going. I think access to other stores I think is a great feature though. There's no real info on the actual console hardware

As far as I understand, MS is out of the console market.

...but there was a recent article that the new XBox will have a "PC" based CPU meaning that porting between PC and console should be also non-existent.

I think the news story you posted is making a distinction where non exists - there won't be any porting as an Xbox is not a console anymore.

If this is the case, developers would also be able to easily identify if the game is on a PC or console and pre-configure the console version, and also what configs would be allowed to be changed on PC or console. Performance could even be better as the code optimisations should affect PC and console simultaneously.

It would simply be a PC title with developer presets for a given "Xbox" SKU. An Xbox is the equivalent of a Surface device in this context. It's the same idea as the Steam Deck.

I also read yesterday that on PC and Rog Ally the XBox store now has access to Epic, Steam, and a few others and saves are syncs across devices which is fantastic.

If that benefits you, that's great. I'm not so interested in PC myself and don't own any PC titles.

Personally I don't know how important this "pc console" is to me as ultimately I just want plug & play, and the ability to play between my consoles which I have anyway, and any hardware upgrades if MS make them available would be very limited and likely expensive. What I would be more interested in is a proper docking system for the handheld so that I could use it like the Nintendo Switch, either portable or connected to TV.

If they succeed in making Windows feel like a traditional Xbox experience, then that is what you should get. There are just the caveats of my initial post. I guess that makes Valve MS' competition going forward.
 
Last edited:
As far as I understand, MS is out of the console market.



I think the new story you posted is making a distinction where non exists. - there won't be any porting as an Xbox is not a console anymore.



It would simply be a PC title with developer presents for a given "Xbox" SKU. An Xbox is the equivalent of a Surface device in this context. I's the same idea as the Steam Deck.



If that benefits you, that's great. I'm not so interested in PC myself and don't own any PC titles.



If they succeed in making Windows feel like a traditional Xbox experience, then that is what you should get. There are just the caveats of my initial post. I guess that makes Valve MS' competition going forward.

Yeah, I see what you mean about no console.

I think it will be a PC built around very specific components with limited to no hardware upgrades, with all the video and audio features and outputs we are used to as console user, packaged in a console like case with simple plug and play for connectivity and accessories.

So I reckon MS will likely still market it as a console, but the internals will basically a compact PC.
 
Yeah, I see what you mean about no console.

I think it will be a PC built around very specific components with limited to no hardware upgrades, with all the video and audio features and outputs we are used to as console user, packaged in a console like case with simple plug and play for connectivity and accessories.

So I reckon MS will likely still market it as a console, but the internals will basically a compact PC.

Yea, it'll be powered by that Magnus APU - but it is modular, so I can see there being various spec variations released over time. Also not being a traditional console, the associated economies will no longer apply, which is offset by cheaper games - significantly so in some cases.
 
It’ll be interesting to see how this matches up with Sony’s dedicated, cheaper console when it debuts later down the line.

I’m not clear in what capacity the new architecture outlined by Cerny and AMD yesterday will be implemented on the Xbox GPU, but they can introduce a GPU refresh when Sony’s console arrives.

Though it does beg the question, why buy an Xbox branded unit at all, and not just put your own “Xbox” together with whatever spec you like?
 
Though it does beg the question, why buy an Xbox branded unit at all, and not just put your own “Xbox” together with whatever spec you like?

I can think of a few reasons I would still purchase:

  • Cost = As it will be an SoC from AMD, will still be best bang for buck when buying like for like PC components, at least within the first couple years anyway.
  • Convinience = Plug and Play for games and accessories. No issues with compatibility requiring troubleshooting and installing drivers when something is updated.
  • Usability = Looking at the ROG Xbox Ally, a lot of work has gone into the software baked into the handheld making it easy to use even though it runs Windows 11 under the hood. It basically works and runs as you would expect a console/handheld to run. So its will very likely have a proper "console" UI and ecosystem.
  • Functionality = Xbox features like Smart Delivery and Quick Resume may not be available on PC.
  • Hardware = All needed outputs will be present for AV
  • Size = Still a lot smaller and quieter than a PC
  • RGB = No need for RGB if your don't have a PC LOL
 
[*]Cost = As it will be an SoC from AMD, will still be best bang for buck when buying like for like PC components, at least within the first couple years anyway.

Pricing will be somewhere between a PC and a console, but if you want to upgrade, you'll have to buy a complete new unit, instead of just swapping out the GPU (you can see how the GPU is a separate chip, meaning future upgrade plans).

[*]Convinience = Plug and Play for games and accessories. No issues with compatibility requiring troubleshooting and installing drivers when something is updated.
[*]Usability = Looking at the ROG Xbox Ally, a lot of work has gone into the software baked into the handheld making it easy to use even though it runs Windows 11 under the hood. It basically works and runs as you would expect a console/handheld to run. So its will very likely have a proper "console" UI and ecosystem.

It's Windows 11 Home, but set to boot straight to the new Xbox app - I would assume you could do the same with any capable PC.

[*]Functionality = Xbox features like Smart Delivery and Quick Resume may not be available on PC.

If they're not available on PC, why would they be available on these devices - does the ROG Ally X have it?

[*]Hardware = All needed outputs will be present for AV

Isn't this true of modern GPUs too?

[*]Size = Still a lot smaller and quieter than a PC

Maybe, maybe not, depends on how you spec it I would imagine.
 
Last edited:
I am totally out of the PC scene, so I have zero knowledge about the what and how with regards to the software and hardware, GPUs, etc. We know the Xbox has HDMI 2.1 with ALLM and VRR, so you would need to get a GPU with matching or better specs. I would then gather you would need a Soundcard for Dolby 5.1 and Atmos as well, or is that standard now days?

Its possible the new XBox app is available, makes sense it would I guess. I do know the XBox features like Quick Resume are not available to the ROG and by extension, PCs, but I reckon it will be implemented for the ROG at some point.

It will be interesting though to see if the new XBox will run a Windows Home variant that all games will run on. Or if there is a native "console" and "PC" mode that handles things differently. ANd then of course if the Xbox will even be able of hardware upgrades. I have a feeling it won't be though.
 
I am totally out of the PC scene, so I have zero knowledge about the what and how with regards to the software and hardware, GPUs, etc. We know the Xbox has HDMI 2.1 with ALLM and VRR, so you would need to get a GPU with matching or better specs. I would then gather you would need a Soundcard for Dolby 5.1 and Atmos as well, or is that standard now days?

I don’t think soundcards are a thing anymore. Just a digital signal over HDMI to your TV/AVR, same as a console.

Its possible the new XBox app is available, makes sense it would I guess. I do know the XBox features like Quick Resume are not available to the ROG and by extension, PCs, but I reckon it will be implemented for the ROG at some point.

If they find a solution, I would think it would be available to any Windows 11 device.

It will be interesting though to see if the new XBox will run a Windows Home variant that all games will run on. Or if there is a native "console" and "PC" mode that handles things differently. ANd then of course if the Xbox will even be able of hardware upgrades. I have a feeling it won't be though.

It sounds like “Xbox” is simply a Windows app going forward, with Xbox branded hardware being one box solution offerings. I don’t see lacking the branding locking you out of features of a Windows app - they want as broad an audience as possible.

I agree you likely won’t be able to upgrade branded devices, you would have to purchase an updated unit, like phones.
 
I expect Magnus will be the more powerful and more expensive of the next gens 'consoles'

MS will want to preempt the inevitable PS6 Pro off the bat, even if if launches at a higher price point than PS.
They must just use the time to get us over the gamepass subs increase and focus on making it being perceived as a value proposition, again, by the masses. (not that it isn't).

The brand stalwarts are not the market they need to capture / grow.
For XBOTS / Ponies, we will get our console of choice, regardless.
 
Back
Top Bottom