Recently Purchased

Recently Purchased
More than I wanted to spend for sure but the market here is really tough for second hand cars.
Needed to get something for my daughter:

7075d95e-acd1-4c38-8587-442c96b6c7b8.jpeg

2019 Kia Rio S. Decent little car with good fuel consumption, safety and infotainment.

Engine is a bit weak and the 4-speed auto is not great but for her needs those are irrelevant.

Interior is not too bad, some nice things but also some cheap things.

Hopefully she can keep it in good condition for many years. She doesn’t know about it yet. Will surprise her on Wednesday, her birthday is the next day so that worked out.
That's a great first car for a youngster.

In the UK, there is an "indirect" ban coming on sales of manual transmission cars in 2030, as this is when the sales of petrol and diesel cars will be banned. All electric and hybrid cars are automatic.
I doubt the petrol and diesel ban will actually happen, they're already backtracking. But yeah maybe all the manufacturers will add 24v or 48v mild hybrid systems to even their most basic cars and pretend like they've saved the environment.
 
Last edited:
That's a great first car for a youngster.


I doubt the petrol and diesel ban will actually happen, they're already backtracking. But yeah maybe all the manufacturers will add 24v or 48v mild hybrid systems to even their most basic cars and pretend like they've saved the environment.
Dunno man?

There's plenty charging points all over at petrol stations, parking lots, shopping centres. Even businesses installing for their employees.

Won't need a new car for at least 5 years, so I will see what is happening closer to the time.
 
and pretend like they've saved the environment.
Don't think i've ever heard anyone claim that. They are a very small part of a very big plan that's going to take a very long time to happen. But over here we get the MG4, Ora Cat and the BYD Dolphin as entry level EVs and they are very nice cars that make a lot of sense. Probably still about 10% more than an equivalently specced ICE car but not too long ago that gap was 100%

Even that 10% can be accepted by the fuel and service cost savings so i'd say we are very close to the cross over point. In cities though the air quality improvements are a significant thing.

Dunno man?
It will take a very very long time to replace the fleet of already existing ICE cars with EVs, even if everyone wanted one they don't make enough of them for that to happen any time soon.

Just make a better, more compelling product and it will happen naturally. You should see how many Teslas there are here just because at the price point it's really the best car in the segment.
 
Very nice [emoji106]


I will presume the CPU is a big chunk of that cost. Probably the GPU as well.

I am surprised it didn't come with 64GB memory though.
 
More than I wanted to spend for sure but the market here is really tough for second hand cars.
Needed to get something for my daughter:

7075d95e-acd1-4c38-8587-442c96b6c7b8.jpeg

2019 Kia Rio S. Decent little car with good fuel consumption, safety and infotainment.

Engine is a bit weak and the 4-speed auto is not great but for her needs those are irrelevant.

Interior is not too bad, some nice things but also some cheap things.

Hopefully she can keep it in good condition for many years. She doesn’t know about it yet. Will surprise her on Wednesday, her birthday is the next day so that worked out.

Congratulations to Paula!!!! That is an awesome car, I've rented one before (manual though)... not a bad first car at all, and she deserves it!

I hope you plan on putting a big red bow around it.
 
My first car was a dinged up Mini from the 70s/80s

Still, was a 1275cc engine, had a bit of oomph to it. The brakes were **** though, drum all round. And the seals around the doors were rubbish. Driving down Allendale with a cross wind in Winter, you would freeze as it blew straight through the car.

Good memories [emoji4]
 
Took me a very long time to decide on whether or not to get these, to replace my Bose SoundSports which were starting to fall apart.

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 11.11.52.jpg

In particular, I felt the Pro features might be a waste of money, especially as there were so many specials on the older gen models.

But in the end, I'm so glad I spent a bit more - these have significantly exceeded my expectations - Transparency mode is a game changer with these things, and I never knew I needed/wanted it.
 
Very nice [emoji106]


I will presume the CPU is a big chunk of that cost. Probably the GPU as well.

I am surprised it didn't come with 64GB memory though.
It has two DDR4 slots so can go to 64GB, also has two m.2 slots.

Mine has a 10th gen i7 and a 1650ti. Starting out with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. Which is the same I have in my old Thinkpad so should be fine for some time. Also has a 15.6” 4K display which is gorgeous. New gen 5 is 16”.
 
Took me a very long time to decide on whether or not to get these, to replace my Bose SoundSports which were starting to fall apart.

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 11.11.52.jpg

In particular, I felt the Pro features might be a waste of money, especially as there were so many specials on the older gen models.

But in the end, I'm so glad I spent a bit more - these have significantly exceeded my expectations - Transparency mode is a game changer with these things, and I never knew I needed/wanted it.

Yup once you’ve gone there you can’t go back.

People don’t want to listen when I say go Pro and then I make them try it and they very quickly forget the normal AirPods exist.

Apparently the difference between Gen 1 and 2 is also quite substantial.
 
Yes that is great. I find total sound isolation a bit weird (must be the saffer in me). Had it in my previous Jabras but I think the Airpod works a bit better.

That’s because normally they don’t breathe and therefore cause a vacuum.

The AirPods don’t do this because of the air channels so it’s a very different experience.

N/C in other setups always make me a little nauseous.
 
I bought plane tickets to Spain today, flying in three week's time. I have my Schengen appointment tomorrow, hope I get it in time.
 
Zurich, next July... my daughter's 16th birthday present.

Probably will be the single biggest expense of the year judging by what the tickets cost us, the provisional hotel bookings and flight availability!


Cover.jpegErasDates.jpeg



I won't lie... I'm looking forward to it too! And excited to see Paramore.
 
How did you even get tickets? Her shows here sold out in minutes.

Next year July you say? Maybe we should meet up somewhere.

It was a serious grind!

Pre-registered as soon as the pre-reg opened for each country, which was more than a month before, and was waitlisted in about 6 different cities, attempted to purchase on all of them as they opened, and only 1 succeeded. So Zurich it is!

If you guys are anywhere near Switzerland, then definitely yes! I'm contemplating a road trip to Stuttgart or Milan (why should only the teen get to have all the fun?)
 
Back
Top Bottom