Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - Ninja Theory

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - Ninja Theory
I started the game last night and played the first chapter. Loving it so far and I'm going to try to get though it over the next week. Its running at 21:9 aspect ratio so the 30fps makes it very cinematic. Glad that they put chapter select in which will make the clean up for the 1000gs easier. First impressions are similar but bigger. Will revisit this thread once I'm done to avoid any spoilers.

I did not even notice that it is 30FPS, plays very smoothly.

I also like the dynamic difficulty setting.
 
Ninja Theory Explains Why Headphones Are So Important In Hellblade 2

...
The game utilises binaural audio, which immerses players in Senua's world. Garcia goes as far as stating "any headphones" will do the job, and it's simply the superior way to experience this game, as the team has captured its audio with a binaural microphone - giving listeners a "realistic impression of 3D space".
...

 
So I've completed the game and got the 1000gs as well.. overall it was a short game, much like the first one which will have people asking why did it take so long to get done. My take is that it was virtually ready and then covid hit, then the xbox acquisition coupled with the transition over to unreal engine 5 meant that we got it when we got it.

I thought that the game was the right length for me as it was enough to keep me engaged and did not feel repetitive or in unnecessarily padded out. I was happy with the story and where I felt that this one had more set pieces than actual fights, it was excellently executed keeping me engaged and entertained. The pacing was good and it got to the point picking up from the last one. The graphics are up there with the best and I found myself in awe at how good this engine is. With many devs moving over to UE5 I hope this means shorter lead times for game development and if they can make smaller concise titles like these or a frequent basis, the subscription model that ms craves will sell itself.

All things considered, it's great to get a bug free game this gorgeous in 2024!
 
New patch has dropped.

What is interesting is Improved FSR3 artefacts as I didn't even know it was using FSR3.

Hellblade 2 Update 1.0.5.0 Patch Notes​

  • Added a warning prompt when selecting ‘New Story’ as this option resets the current save's story progress.
  • Fixed the large text size option, which was causing UI elements in chapter selection to go out of bounds.
  • Animation sync issues during some enemy executions in combat have been adjusted and fixed.
  • Adjusted the combat events during the Thórgestr battle at the end of Chapter 1
  • Several localization fixes.
  • Tree collision fixes in Chapter 2 settlement puzzle.
  • Fixed the crash when closing photo mode after extended gameplay.
  • Fixed a few cases of memory leaks game-wide.
  • Ultrawide fix during Chapter 3 cinematic to prevent Fargrímr from disappearing.
  • Indoor rain inside the broken house in Chapter 1 is fixed.
  • Ghosting issues fixed when running Frame Generation.
  • Added missing SFX during Chapter 3 puzzle and Chapter 4 combat
  • Fixed missing captions in several areas across the game.
  • Missing facial animations in Chapter 5 cinematic after village battle.
  • Misaligned peach fuzz around Senua's neck and face has been corrected.
  • Goði combat crowd push events have been adjusted for a better combat experience.
  • Improved FSR3 artefacts.
  • Fixed the case of some animated objects were invisible during gameplay.
  • Fixed instances of black marks appearing on faces around beards and fine hairs on Low preset.
 
Yep. Like I said it's gorgeous to look at. I started spidey 2 the other day and thought that looked so last gen initially because of coming off this game and spidey 2 looks phenomenal.
 
Game is epic. Feels like a viking version of Ryse with more fog and depth of field.

The faces and body animation in this game are just amazing, haven't seen a studio do it this well since Naughty Dog on PS.

Usually I abhor tons of post processing effects but in this title it just works. In fact I capped the FPS to 30 on PC for that movie-like feel and cranked up the DLAA with max settings.
 
Back
Top Bottom