Recently Purchased

Weird that the PS5 would affect your streaming services, sounds like the router isn’t doing a great job at Quality of Service load balancing. Unless you are on like a 20MBit line, which is very much doubt is even an option in Denmark.

Is it weird? I wouldn't have thought so. We make use of the free internet from my wife's company, 350/65 Mbps - left alone the PS5 could easily max that out. Would it not make sense that when simultaneously streaming content from high bitrate services like Apple TV+ you might see fluctuations in resolution?

Is it weird? I wouldn't have thought so. We make use of the free internet from my wife's company, 350/65 Mbps - left alone the PS5 could easily max that out. Would it not make sense that when simultaneously streaming content from high bitrate services like Apple TV+ you might see fluctuations in resolution?
No, your router should be intelligently limiting the PS5 bandwidth to allow your Apple TV+ to keep going at full taps at least until such a point where they would consume 50% of the bandwidth each.

Basically your PS5 shouldn't be allowed to flat line unless the entire line is available.

Think of it in a more public/corporate setting if this was the norm then one person could be smashing the internet for the entire company and others would suffer for it, so your router does the job of balancing bandwidth between different users/devices to stop this from happening and give everyone a fair share.

Of course a "fair share" depends on the line speeds, but in your case there's more than enough to go around with Apple TV+ usually peaking at maximum 80Mbit/s in a burst so you should happily have enough to go around without affecting any individual service.

It sounds like QoS (Quality of Service) is disabled on your router or misconfigured.

I have 64 devices on my home network, it would be an utter disaster if one just killed the internet for the rest of them all the time.

No, your router should be intelligently limiting the PS5 bandwidth to allow your Apple TV+ to keep going at full taps at least until such a point where they would consume 50% of the bandwidth each.

Basically your PS5 shouldn't be allowed to flat line unless the entire line is available.

Think of it in a more public/corporate setting if this was the norm then one person could be smashing the internet for the entire company and others would suffer for it, so your router does the job of balancing bandwidth between different users/devices to stop this from happening and give everyone a fair share.

Of course a "fair share" depends on the line speeds, but in your case there's more than enough to go around with Apple TV+ usually peaking at maximum 80Mbit/s in a burst so you should happily have enough to go around without affecting any individual service.

It sounds like QoS (Quality of Service) is disabled on your router or misconfigured.

I have 64 devices on my home network, it would be an utter disaster if one just killed the internet for the rest of them all the time.
Big swings in bitrate occur when streaming content, would that not affect the balancing of bandwidth?

I would imagine it would be more desirable to try maximise available bandwidth than limit what is available to the end user in the name of headroom.

It only occurs when downloading games on the PS5, nothing else seems to have the same effect. Perhaps others don’t notice resolution drops as readily as I do, given my proximity to my display.

Regardless, I wouldn’t want to change it, I prefer my games download as fast as possible - it’s rare that I have the console downloading content while I watch TV anyway.

Knowing you, I'm sure you have a layout or at least a list of all the devices on your network. Would you be willing to show what it looks like, even if via PM? I'm genuinely curious

Big swings in bitrate occur when streaming content, would that not affect the balancing of bandwidth?

I would imagine it would be more desirable to try maximise available bandwidth than limit what is available to the end user in the name of headroom.

It only occurs when downloading games on the PS5, nothing else seems to have the same effect. Perhaps others don’t notice resolution drops as readily as I do, given my proximity to my display.

Regardless, I wouldn’t want to change it, I prefer my games download as fast as possible - it’s rare that I have the console downloading content while I watch TV anyway.

There’s quite a bit of trickery and let’s call it “padding” in play to compensate for those swings in bitrate.

Depending on the system it also announces itself as what kind of device it is and therefore what kind of profile it attaches to it which then in turn compensates for exactly this.

Also that very nature of swinging bitrate is why you shouldn’t be seeing any resolution changes because it compensates for this already and buffers forwards, so it should detect the loss of bandwidth and then build the buffer longer and in the time it’s done that the router should have already compensated by giving it more so short of the very initial playback setting itself up you should never see any resolution change again assuming the internet itself is rock solid.

There has been a recent change in the way Apple TV+ understands where to go look for content but this is now in serious nerd territory, which requires the DNS server to support ECS and not all of them do and people have bespoke configs and this causes some issues. But this would only affect ATV+ and would also happen all the time, not just when the PS5 does its thing.

I guess on the flipside the bonus is that the PS5 can actually max itself out unlike the PS4 did.

Knowing you, I'm sure you have a layout or at least a list of all the devices on your network. Would you be willing to show what it looks like, even if via PM? I'm genuinely curious
Sure why not, let me see if I can put it in some sort of useful format.

It's actually impossible to get into a nice all-in-one format but here's a lot of it...I clearly need to update some device types.

Primary Router/Gateway is a UniFi UDM Pro with a PoE Switch that runs a 4 indoor Access Points and 1 Outdoor unit.

There's a bunch of IP cameras (not UniFi yet...maybe never will have to see) and then UniFi Door Access which is kind of sitting under my desk and not in real world use and not sure if I'll make the effort other than maybe on the front door/gate since I use GPS presence detection for pretty much everything so it seems pointless and just being fancy for showing off rather than real function.

Sonoff SV in my Alarm system.
Shelly 1's in my Garage Door & Front Gate Motors. They were Sonoff SV's before but gave too much shit.
Aqara Sensors on the Gate & Door now but also being problematic so going to hard wire reed switches in there and use those on my side gates instead.
CBI Astute Smart Controller on the Geyser, bunch of CBI Astute Sockets around the house for aircons and Fridges and so on.
Tuya-based Smart Plugs on things like Tumble Dryer, Dishwasher, Washing Machine etc.
Google Chromebox running my Home Assistant Server.
Google Chromebox running my Home Assistant Dashboard + Plex Server hidden in a cupboard in the kitchen with the Touch display to the wall panel on the outside.
HP Microserver in the rack in the garage where the UDM Pro lives which runs Unraid with 27TB of redundant storage.
Sunsynk 8KW inverter also in the garage.
Tuya light switches everywhere, but I still have 4 or 5 to install that I just don't ever get to as I need to do it when the kids aren't at home since I need to trace some live wiring.

Hmm what else? 4 maybe 5 MacBooks, one piece of shit Dell. Bunch of iPhones and iPads as well as Kindles and Fire Tablets. Then a few
HomePod Minis and Alexas and the usual stuff like soundbar and 2 TV's.

Couple of Sonoff TH's running around connected to the heater panels attached to software thermostats.
Oh Sonoff iFans in each ceiling fan attached to the same thermostat so you just flip it between hot and cold.

Aqara sensors in every room, but those are Zigbee so don't show up here.

Can't think of much else. Eventually I'll probably do something like make the alarm truly smart but at this stage question what the point is really.

Oh and of course a whole bunch of smart lights, or bulbs or strips or whatever all over the show most of which have been integrated with light switches on the wall so you can do stuff like turn on the bedside lamps from the wall switch and stuff. Not that I ever touch the wall switches in most cases as the automations take care of that to the point it's not necessary.

I'll probably spend some money in this year to test those fancy Aqara zone based presence detection sensors and then pretty much never need a switch for anything any more because it will just follow you around.

Something I'd love to do is let the bathrooms turn on different brightness lights and colours depending on time so you can go "pee in the dark" easily.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.28.53.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.28.53.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.30.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.30.12.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.31.00.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.31.00.png
    50 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.32.13.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 14.32.13.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sure why not, let me see if I can put it in some sort of useful format.

It's actually impossible to get into a nice all-in-one format but here's a lot of it...I clearly need to update some device types.

Primary Router/Gateway is a UniFi UDM Pro with a PoE Switch that runs a 4 indoor Access Points and 1 Outdoor unit.

There's a bunch of IP cameras (not UniFi yet...maybe never will have to see) and then UniFi Door Access which is kind of sitting under my desk and not in real world use and not sure if I'll make the effort other than maybe on the front door/gate since I use GPS presence detection for pretty much everything so it seems pointless and just being fancy for showing off rather than real function.

Sonoff SV in my Alarm system.
Shelly 1's in my Garage Door & Front Gate Motors. They were Sonoff SV's before but gave too much shit.
Aqara Sensors on the Gate & Door now but also being problematic so going to hard wire reed switches in there and use those on my side gates instead.
CBI Astute Smart Controller on the Geyser, bunch of CBI Astute Sockets around the house for aircons and Fridges and so on.
Tuya-based Smart Plugs on things like Tumble Dryer, Dishwasher, Washing Machine etc.
Google Chromebox running my Home Assistant Server.
Google Chromebox running my Home Assistant Dashboard + Plex Server hidden in a cupboard in the kitchen with the Touch display to the wall panel on the outside.
HP Microserver in the rack in the garage where the UDM Pro lives which runs Unraid with 27TB of redundant storage.
Sunsynk 8KW inverter also in the garage.
Tuya light switches everywhere, but I still have 4 or 5 to install that I just don't ever get to as I need to do it when the kids aren't at home since I need to trace some live wiring.

Hmm what else? 4 maybe 5 MacBooks, one piece of shit Dell. Bunch of iPhones and iPads as well as Kindles and Fire Tablets. Then a few
HomePod Minis and Alexas and the usual stuff like soundbar and 2 TV's.

Couple of Sonoff TH's running around connected to the heater panels attached to software thermostats.
Oh Sonoff iFans in each ceiling fan attached to the same thermostat so you just flip it between hot and cold.

Aqara sensors in every room, but those are Zigbee so don't show up here.

Can't think of much else. Eventually I'll probably do something like make the alarm truly smart but at this stage question what the point is really.

Oh and of course a whole bunch of smart lights, or bulbs or strips or whatever all over the show most of which have been integrated with light switches on the wall so you can do stuff like turn on the bedside lamps from the wall switch and stuff. Not that I ever touch the wall switches in most cases as the automations take care of that to the point it's not necessary.

I'll probably spend some money in this year to test those fancy Aqara zone based presence detection sensors and then pretty much never need a switch for anything any more because it will just follow you around.

Something I'd love to do is let the bathrooms turn on different brightness lights and colours depending on time so you can go "pee in the dark" easily.
Holy crap...
That's quite impressive. Well done!

Holy crap...
That's quite impressive. Well done!
It's been a journey and on a weekly basis I find new things to do that makes things work better.

Just in the last week or two I introduced a calendar to my screensaver on my Wallpanel that collates our personal calendars and family calendars all in one screen that looks at the week ahead so we know what's happening easily.

Then along side that I have all my inverter stats so it's easy to see how heavy the load is or how much battery is left and how long it will take to charge etc and then along with that I have a "Load Shedding in XX:XX" just as a bit of a consciousness around it even though it doesn't affect us.

I find so many people asking me "But why do you want to put the light off with your phone when you can just get up and push the button" which completely defeats the entire point because the goal is to never need to think about turning it on and off it must just do what you want when you want it.

I have created a Home Assistant thread

Will move some posts there.

New gym shoes:

Nike.jpg

Technical Pen:

Pen.jpg

Blu-rays of course:

1.jpg 2.jpg

...and tickets to see this lady:

SEB.jpg

We only know the one song and it's not our kind of music, but it's a nice venue and a bit of nostalgia.

Last edited:
Just a mouse LOL

743237a83d0a28616f8e722b3b0b9984.jpg

Looks more like a knife made in a garage in Boksburg

I wouldn’t care if it works this well.

I literally just need to drop the knife through a cucumber, no effort whatsoever required.

Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 for Xbox Series S upstairs. Microsoft currently has them at an extremely good discount, best price I have ever seen, so they are likely release a Series 3 next week LOL

View attachment 1118

Yay, just been notified it's being delivered. When I ordered on sale, I didnt read properly and see they part when it said delivery will occur on 31 January 🤣

Looking forward to using this on the series s upstairs.

I wouldn’t care if it works this well.

I literally just need to drop the knife through a cucumber, no effort whatsoever required.
To be fair even my most blunt knife goes through a cucumber effortlessly.

To be fair even my most blunt knife goes through a cucumber effortlessly.

Nah there is effortless and then there is effortless.

Anything can cut a cucumber and get the job done sure, but this is like no resistance.

I’m very excited to cut onions and tomatoes and of course I don’t have any meals planned with those this week.

Nah there is effortless and then there is effortless.

Anything can cut a cucumber and get the job done sure, but this is like no resistance.

I’m very excited to cut onions and tomatoes and of course I don’t have any meals planned with those this week.
Change your meal plans, make a lekker tomato and onion smoor, or bolognaise sauce. 🍅🧅

Back
Top Bottom