General AV Chat

General AV Chat
It's worse than you think. I don't know a single person here that has bothered to setup their TVs at all. I'm talking Dynamic from the store with all enhancements on.

Expensive TVs. I don't bother to try and tell them about setup, they are happy so what's the use? Go off Dynamic and it has less "pop" lol.
I will say that aspect, setting up a TV properly, is actually fairly new.

For the longest time most of my conversation on forums revolved around explaining the concept of TV standards and settings like Sharpness to people.

It’s only with the advent of HDTV Test moving over to YouTube (amongst others) that the concept has become more broadly accepted.
 
It's worse than you think. I don't know a single person here that has bothered to setup their TVs at all. I'm talking Dynamic from the store with all enhancements on.

Expensive TVs. I don't bother to try and tell them about setup, they are happy so what's the use? Go off Dynamic and it has less "pop" lol.

I don't consider myself a Home Theater buff and certainly a million miles from an audiophile but when i buy anything tech i do some research on how to get the most out of it. I know i don't have it in me to properly do a HT setup with amp and dedicated speakers so the HT-A9s seem like something i could get going quickly without much fuss that will work in my wonky space.

Ha ha.

Reminds me of a fairly tech savvy and usually on top of these things friend who got a new TV the other day and granted it’s a secondary off the kitchen kind of setup not his dedicated system.

I walked in and immediately said you have interpolation enabled (he’s savvy enough to understand what I means) and what the hell and he was like no way it’s definitely off.

I said I can see it a mile away and even my wife was like yeah hell no turn that **** off and he was like no way you guys a smoking something.

Five minutes later found it hidden away in the menus and turned it off and he was like how on earth didn’t he notice for however many weeks now.
 
@SauRoN i owe you a thanks.

Looks like turning off the quick start on the C1 has resolved the sound bar issue. It’s been almost a week and it’s still working which is probably the longest it’s gone since I got the TV.

Holding thumbs that it just keeps working.
 
@KenMasters

Thinking of getting my folks a Samsung Q990D on special (R11.4k/€560). Currently using a 2017 Samsung K550 3.1 soundbar + sub.

Only things connected to the HDMI In ports would be an Apple TV 4K Gen 3 (I believe it sends Atmos when using the Netflix/Prime/Apple TV apps via Dolby MAT) and a DSTV Explora Ultra decoder (DD 5.1), then HDMI e-ARC from the soundbar to a simple Samsung 4K/60Hz TV.

Heard good things about the Q990D on the internet, your thoughts?
 
@KenMasters

Thinking of getting my folks a Samsung Q990D on special (R11.4k/€560). Currently using a 2017 Samsung K550 3.1 soundbar + sub.

Only things connected to the HDMI In ports would be an Apple TV 4K Gen 3 (I believe it sends Atmos when using the Netflix/Prime/Apple TV apps via Dolby MAT) and a DSTV Explora Ultra decoder (DD 5.1), then HDMI e-ARC from the soundbar to a simple Samsung 4K/60Hz TV.

Heard good things about the Q990D on the internet, your thoughts?

It's hard to give a definitive answer.

I've not heard a product like this in a very long time, so I can't comment on the sound quality aspect, however Harman is under Samsung now and they've done a lot of research on psychoacoustics, which I'm sure Samsung's made use of with these products.

At that price there's little to complain about and if your parents enjoy watching movies, I'm sure they'll appreciate the surrounds.

If they're as into music as TV however, powered stereo speakers might be another way to go, with everything connected to the TV and a digital audio out connection to the speakers.
 
@KenMasters Hi everyone, I was hoping one of you could assist me with some information, as I'm not as familiar with this topic as I once was. I'm looking at upgrading my TV; it's a 50-inch 4K Samsung, and I’d say it's around 10 years old, give or take. I've been seeing some good deals on the TCL C655 65-inch but am not sure how reliable they are in the long term, as I've heard mixed things about TCL — some good, some bad. My budget is around 8k-10k. I'll mainly use the TV for gaming and watching movies or series. If not TCL, what other TVs should I be looking at within my price bracket? Thanks in advance for any help.
 
@KenMasters Hi everyone, I was hoping one of you could assist me with some information, as I'm not as familiar with this topic as I once was. I'm looking at upgrading my TV; it's a 50-inch 4K Samsung, and I’d say it's around 10 years old, give or take. I've been seeing some good deals on the TCL C655 65-inch but am not sure how reliable they are in the long term, as I've heard mixed things about TCL — some good, some bad. My budget is around 8k-10k. I'll mainly use the TV for gaming and watching movies or series. If not TCL, what other TVs should I be looking at within my price bracket? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey, long time!

Sorry, but I'm not much help when it comes to LCDs in general, never mind specific brands like TCL. They have a good rep for what they offer in their price range, but can't speak to them personally.
 
@KenMasters Hi everyone, I was hoping one of you could assist me with some information, as I'm not as familiar with this topic as I once was. I'm looking at upgrading my TV; it's a 50-inch 4K Samsung, and I’d say it's around 10 years old, give or take. I've been seeing some good deals on the TCL C655 65-inch but am not sure how reliable they are in the long term, as I've heard mixed things about TCL — some good, some bad. My budget is around 8k-10k. I'll mainly use the TV for gaming and watching movies or series. If not TCL, what other TVs should I be looking at within my price bracket? Thanks in advance for any help.
I think you should make a list of features you require.

For gaming, you probably would want HDMI 2.1 for the 4k@120Hz output, ALLM (Auto low latency mode), VRR for the variable frame rate ability. Don't fall for that 240Hz nonsense due to image processing, you want a native 120Hz panel.

You may want to maybe look into which LCDs have standard back lighting or back light zones. Basically helps with light and dark images on the screen as different parts of the screen can have different brightness.

Personally I would likely look at the Hisense range as my preferrered mid-range option. I have read some reviews about TLC with mostly positive ratings, so probably on par with Hisense.

Go check out Rtings. Use private mode on browser else it nags you to register after checking out a few items.
 
I've been researching TCL for several months now, and also had a good look at them last week in a store (have not purchased yet)

You cannot go wrong with the TCL C7K models... if your budget doesn't stretch that far the C6K should be good too.
 
Has anyone on here bought a TCL, mum's LG of 7 years not powering on, she just needs a TV to watch DSTV, so considering trying it, I personally stick to Sammy and LG, don't want buy something and have issues
 
Has anyone on here bought a TCL, mum's LG of 7 years not powering on, she just needs a TV to watch DSTV, so considering trying it, I personally stick to Sammy and LG, don't want buy something and have issues
no, I have not... but based on reviews I've read and watched on YouTube, and a visit last week to The Digital Experience - they do indeed look like excellent value for money. I mean they're not OLED, that is clear despite the marketing efforts, but the entry-level mini-LED is 10x better than my relatively expensive Samsung LED from 5 years ago.
 
Back
Top Bottom