News

Dunno man, I think Sony will become multi-plat sooner than later. They have a new job offering which seems to point to this exact move…
Releasing Helldivers 2 on the Series makes sense for the health of the multiplayer base, but as a platform a number of developers don’t see it as worth the resource allocation at this point.

PC is the future of Xbox and that’s where I see Sony putting most of its multiplat efforts.

Sony won’t abandon first party exclusives either (at least within a given time period). If anything the failure of Xbox as a console has borne out their importance.
 
Last edited:
I don't think they will go multi plat on first party exclusives unless their hands are forced. Live service titles are a different story.
 
Sony isn't going multi-platform with Xbox, they will definitely focus on more PC releases but not Xbox, maybe they will throw some scraps here and there but that will be about it. It makes sense for Microsoft to release games on PlayStation since they want to actually make money and sells games :p

When free games on Xbox are selling better on other platforms where you have to pay for them you know there is an issue.
 
Xbox is not leaving the console race, they will keep on making consoles. They have already confirmed that.

Game Pass remains the best deal in gaming.

But going multi-platform is not going to hurt them, more sales = more money.
 
It's not a question of IF Sony will go multiplat, but more like WHEN.

The Sony job listing for a “Senior Director, Multiplatform & Account Management” explicitly mentions expanding PlayStation Studios titles to Xbox, Steam, Nintendo, and mobile. Its not ambiguous or vague and is very clear in the direction Sony are wanting to go. Decisions like this are made by the board members acting on behalf of share holders. Now that they have seen the success of the MS multiplat drive, they will want some of it that sweet sweet revenue.
 
Xbox is not leaving the console race, they will keep on making consoles. They have already confirmed that.

Indeed, gonna be interesting to see what the next console will actually be as rumours are saying it will be more akin to a PC then a console, but time will tell.

 
**** Sony, man.

My sentiment too.

In addition to that the PS3 and Vita store are now going to be shutting down

An update on PlayStation Store for PS3 and PS Vita

So we're being pushed to a digital only future while being reminded that those digital games won't be available in the future.
How far into the future?
If it's Concord a week, if it's anything else who knows!
10 Years? Maybe 20?

Meanwhile I have a Sega Genesis still that will let me play any of the games I own for it whenever I want, while Sonic is being re-released for it on a physical cartage for the 35th anniversary!
Sonic the Hedgehog (35th Anniversary) - Legacy Cartridge Collection
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (35th Anniversary) - Legacy Cartridge Collection

Maybe I'm old, but I find this to be freaking insane.
 
Last edited:
My sentiment too.

In addition to that the PS3 and Vita store are now going to be shutting down

An update on PlayStation Store for PS3 and PS Vita

So we're being pushed to a digital only future while being reminded that those digital games won't be available in the future.
How far into the future?
If it's Concord a week, if it's anything else who knows!
10 Years? Maybe 20?

Meanwhile I have a Sega Genesis still that will let me play any of the games I own for it whenever I want, while Sonic is being re-released for it on a physical cartage for the 35th anniversary!
Sonic the Hedgehog (35th Anniversary) - Legacy Cartridge Collection
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (35th Anniversary) - Legacy Cartridge Collection

Maybe I'm old, but I find this to be freaking insane.
Worst is, just a week ago, people that bought Studio Canal movies from Sony, digitally, were told no more access to their paid for item. A perfect example of why this is a terrible way forward.


Not even taking into account the **** there'll be with regards to only buying games via the PlayStation Store.

PC works for digital because we have various places to buy from. Sony is clearly trying to force competition away.
 
Sony dropping this just days after removing a massive list of movies from the store and locking people out of the content they paid for sure is a bold strategy.

Gamers did it to themselves though, paying for online, PS+ subscription models and digital only consoles just sped up the process so I have zero empathy towards to outrage happening because a large majority of the people *****ing about this are the cause of it. So good, I hope it destroys gaming so that it can be rebuilt again in favour of the consumers, the faster they do it the quicker it either gets destroyed or continues to go on for the worse. I don't trust Sony to do a decent job of this model if they are the only option. I just picked up a brand new copy of Armored Core VI on PS5 the other day for £10 and that is still £60 on the PSN store. So that is the future you created for yourselves by supporting these stupid practices over the last 10+ years, well done, hope the PS+ monthly games were worth it.

I'm a physical disc collector but I don't mind a digital model but when that digital model is controlled via one company and is the only option to acquire that product then I have a problem with it, no competition means you are locked in and can't do anything about it. Hopefully Governments step in and do something to regulate this and protect the consumers because I have absolutely no faith that gamers can band together to stop something like this when they've been gobbling down all the **** for years now with smiles on their faces.

As it stands now though I don't see myself picking up a PS6 if it's a digital only console that is locked into a Sony platform. Giving them so much power over my purchase is not something I want to support.
 
Last edited:
I thought sony is just going away from media drives?

Like PC gamers did since 2015.

If the purchased movie thing I read above is true then yes that's a consumer rights violation. but seriously you guys thought media discs or cartages of some sort will remain?

Edit: Ok. Never mind. This is way more f#@$ed up than I thought



The part that pointed out to me was the price difference. We PC gamers are so used to DRM's having competitors that the model here sounds crazy. Imagine buying a physical copy being cheaper than the online price. WTF? If that's true then I get you guys a bit more. (Also if they just removing things you payed for that's just flat consumer rights violations in even Japan. So a big fat no. I still don't see how that can stick.)
 
Last edited:
It makes more sense now why they would also halt Single Player games being released on PC.
If Single Player games were still being released on PC, they would still have competition with steam and people would go there to get it cheaper.

They already have targeted pricing on PSN, so the goal here is simple.
PSN as a digital store where they have a monopoly, control the price for each user, squeeze as much money out of them as possible with no other options.


1783260753932.png
 
Last edited:
It makes more sense now why they would also halt Single Player games being released on PC.
If Single Player games were still being released on PC, they would still have competition with steam and people would go there to get it cheaper.

They already have targeted pricing on PSN, so the goal here is simple.
PSN as a digital store where they have a monopoly, control the price for each user, squeeze as much money out of them as possible with no other options.


1783260753932.png

I just realised my 8 year old doesn't even know what a CD, DVD or BlueRay is LOL

We are just getting old!
 
Wouldn't say it has anything to do with age, it's just the direction media has shifted towards, go into any store that sells music, games, movies etc and there is physical media everywhere. Kids likely just don't know much about it because we have moved to a more streamlined efficient way of using that media. The addition of cheaper digital only consoles is also a big factor, my sons first console generation was the Series S/X, PS5 and Switch. All of his friends have digital only consoles because they are the cheaper options yet all have physical and digital games on their Nintendo Switch, why is that? Certainly not because Nintendo games are cheaper but when presented with a console that offers both physical and digital paths you are given a choice and you buy whatever is convenient at that time which is what Sony is trying to take away.

It was a similar scenario when I was like 20 years old, my car stereo had a USB port, it wasn't a common thing back then because people were still using CD's and most had no clue how to even do it but it let me have thousands of songs on a USB drive as apposed to being stuck with the limitations of CD's, kids now have access to millions of songs that they can stream on their devices or things like gamepass which give them access to hundreds of games, our internet is also way better than it was back in the day so streaming games is a thing. Not much has changed from 25+ years ago just the way it's consumed. It doesn't mean physical media is obsolete.

This is a much bigger issue than physical vs digital.
 
I just realised my 8 year old doesn't even know what a CD, DVD or BlueRay is LOL

We are just getting old!
Yo this reminds me of reels on Instagram where parents give their kids a VHS tape and then watch them try and figure out how to play it :ROFLMAO:

It's crazy to think this is becoming the thing for Disks now too.

Like the kids on Fortnite didn't make me feel old already, now I gotta deal with this too!
Honestly think once I have kids, I'm going to dust off one of my retro machines and make them game on that.
Kiddy is going to learn what real pain is when they try beat Lion King on the Sega Genesis.
 
Yo this reminds me of reels on Instagram where parents give their kids a VHS tape and then watch them try and figure out how to play it :ROFLMAO:

It's crazy to think this is becoming the thing for Disks now too.

Like the kids on Fortnite didn't make me feel old already, now I gotta deal with this too!
Honestly think once I have kids, I'm going to dust off one of my retro machines and make them game on that.
Kiddy is going to learn what real pain is when they try beat Lion King on the Sega Genesis.

My youngest brother has his kids playing on his retro consoles. Mostly stuff from his childhood though, so more PS2 era.

Blu-rays are becoming more popular with younger people lately though, there's a trend towards physical media. As with vinyl, it's mostly niche labels driving it. Most of the big studios have either already pulled out or are in the process of doing so.

I would imagine this is a bigger part of Sony's decision than people realise. In the Americas there's only a single production plant left and signs don't point to things going well there. Anecdotal, but I feel when I order US BDs it's a lottery - it's more often than I like that I open brand new out the packaging discs to find fingerprints and scratches. I just recently returned Life of Brian on 4K for being unplayable due to large circular scratches.

Thankfully I've never had a problem with European discs, but there is only so much capacity to go around and its shrinking.
 
Big mistake, proper big release games should continue on disc.

But to be completely fair the discs that we do get have been pretty useless since the PS4 days, where games need downloads anyway and patches and online required for many, Regardless you can still use and pass the disc around. I just want games that work properly.

That 85/15% digital physical ratio is also complete nonsense apparently as it counts every pos indie game sold digitally. So I really don't know what they are thinking. not like 85% of God of war ragnarok are digital. Etc


As for ps3 and vita shutting down I bet nobody has tried to use those stores in the last 5 years. Good riddance imo. Doesn't work, games cost a fortune, Cant find anything and those systems days are done digitally anyway, you could still buy and play physical games without problems for the most part on them.


Sony is messing up big time with this.


I wamt a physical copy of gta 6, I loathe to pull full price for a digital download.
 
Back
Top Bottom