General AV Chat

General AV Chat
Some people are saying connecting the XB directly to soundbar and then connecting the soundbar to TV removes lag from XB when using Dolby formats.

Other mentioned disabling eARC and VRR on TV also helped with the delay. Could it be something to do with how XB encodes and transmits audio over HDMI 2.1?

My setup it XB -> TV -> Soundbar and I always get Dolby lag.



Yeah yeah, maybe 150ms or so. Slight LOL

Yes that’s why I’m saying it’s the TV trying to process it that causes it, not the console.

The TV is basically converting it down before sending it on.

Always go directly if you can.
 
There's no exception, Dolby MAT is PCM - no bitstreaming involved.

Aah I didn’t realise the ATV also does Dolby MAT.

So even if something like Netflix only supports a DD+ Atmos track the MAT encoder will switch it to PCM?

I mean in a way it sort of “supports” Bitstream then internally, just not for output, which is likely where all the confusion comes in with Infuse.
 
Yes that’s why I’m saying it’s the TV trying to process it that causes it, not the console.

The TV is basically converting it down before sending it on.

Always go directly if you can.

What I'm refering to are the comments made from the 42:25 mark - they say Atmos on Xbox has an inherent delay:



Aah I didn’t realise the ATV also does Dolby MAT.

So even if something like Netflix only supports a DD+ Atmos track the MAT encoder will switch it to PCM?

The Apple TV converts all incoming audio to PCM for a consistent audio experience.
 
What I'm refering to are the comments made from the 42:25 mark - they say Atmos on Xbox has an inherent delay:



Was about to ask what on earth you were referring to as I see no video, and then bizarrely upon quoting I see the link but it doesn’t show up in the post.

Can’t say I’ve perceived a delay when going directly to the receiver and Youtube lip syncing is normally a dead giveaway when going over ARC.
 
The Apple TV converts all incoming audio to PCM for a consistent audio experience.

Outgoing audio you mean?

This is where it gets tricky because Infuse is able to interpret DTS and Dolby tracks (if you pay for it) and get Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD out of alternatively procured file sources, which bypasses Apple’s lockdown of audio pass through.
 
Was about to ask what on earth you were referring to as I see no video, and then bizarrely upon quoting I see the link but it doesn’t show up in the post.

Can’t say I’ve perceived a delay when going directly to the receiver and Youtube lip syncing is normally a dead giveaway when going over ARC.

YouTube wouldn't have that problem though, the issue is Atmos specific.
 
But now it rings a bell to me that bitstream vs PCM with the ATV is also why the volume changes so drastically when doing an Atmos soundtrack.

So if it’s all PCM why isn’t that consistent?
 
YouTube wouldn't have that problem though, the issue is Atmos specific.

Yeah but the Xbox outputs everything in Atmos.

And the issue is clear as day when you plug it into Arc, so it does affect YouTube as the lip sync goes completely mad.

But I last actively tested this in game with Far Cry 5 and big guns.
 
Outgoing audio you mean?

I mean the incoming audio from the various sources - the ATV unpacks it and outputs PCM.

This is where it gets tricky because Infuse is able to interpret DTS and Dolby tracks (if you pay for it) and get Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD out of alternatively procured file sources, which bypasses Apple’s lockdown of audio pass through.

That does not sound legal. DTS-HD and, what I'm assuming is Dolby True HD Atmos are not streaming audio formats. Those would have been ripped from BD copies or the like.
 
I mean the incoming audio from the various sources - the ATV unpacks it and outputs PCM.



That does not sound legal. DTS-HD and, what I'm assuming is Dolby True HD Atmos are not streaming audio formats. Those would have been ripped from BD copies or the like.

100% pirated formats yes so encapsulated in AC3 OR EAC3.

Plex is blocked from outputting it for lack of direct pass through, but Infuse somehow re encodes it mid playback.

Fortunately the Xbox supports native audio pass through.
 
But now it rings a bell to me that bitstream vs PCM with the ATV is also why the volume changes so drastically when doing an Atmos soundtrack.

So if it’s all PCM why isn’t that consistent?

It depends on the source, YouTube will be louder than Atmos because the audio has less dynamic range. The consistency comes in with the ability for the Apple TV to mix in audio and to keep the receiving device from having to constantly jump between formats.

The audio you listen to is all PCM - the various Dolby and DTS codecs are a means to package that audio in more manageable file sizes. When you bitstream, all you're doing is passing the decoding along to another device.
 
It depends on the source, YouTube will be louder than Atmos because the audio has less dynamic range. The consistency comes in with the ability for the Apple TV to mix in audio and to keep the receiving device from having to constantly jump between formats.

The audio you listen to is all PCM - the various Dolby and DTS codecs are a means to package that audio in more manageable file sizes. When you bitstream, all you're doing is passing the decoding along to another device.

No no, it’s the other way around.

Anything Atmos is like 30% louder than everything else. Doesn’t matter where it’s from the moment Atmos shows on the screen need to turn it down a few clicks before it starts otherwise WHAM.

Oh and it’s not the soundbar. Happens with AirPods too.
 
Yeah but the Xbox outputs everything in Atmos.

Perhaps the difference is no metadata with YouTube?

And the issue is clear as day when you plug it into Arc, so it does affect YouTube as the lip sync goes completely mad.

I could well imagine ARC might cause those sorts of issues.

No no, it’s the other way around.

Anything Atmos is like 30% louder than everything else.

Interesting, definitely not my experience.

Doesn’t matter where it’s from the moment Atmos shows on the screen need to turn it down a few clicks before it starts otherwise WHAM.

Oh and it’s not the soundbar. Happens with AirPods too.

That's weird - not something in your settings maybe? I generally watch Atmos content 10dB louder than YouTube.

Do you have a subwoofer - is it mainly the bass causing an issue? Might be modal issues in the room not triggered by content that has no LFE.
 
Perhaps the difference is no metadata with YouTube?



I could well imagine ARC would cause those sorts of issues.



Interesting, definitely not my experience.



That's weird - not something in your settings maybe? I generally watch Atmos content 10dB louder than YouTube.

I mean as you know the Apple TV has all of three settings.

But either way I’ll fiddle with all these things tonight or tomorrow and report back.

Out of interest do the ARC issues ever go away on full blown eARC on the newer OLEDS? I know the C7 was a half baked version still.
 
I mean as you know the Apple TV has all of three settings.

But either way I’ll fiddle with all these things tonight or tomorrow and report back.

Check your soundbar for dynamic range compression or loudness compensation options as well.

Out of interest do the ARC issues ever go away on full blown eARC on the newer OLEDS? I know the C7 was a half baked version still.

eARC is a very different beast to ARC - it shouldn't cause any problems. I connect my PS5 directly to the TV and use eARC to get the audio to my AV processor - passes it straight through, no lag at all.
 
Check your soundbar for dynamic range compression or loudness compensation options as well.



eARC is a very different beast to ARC - it shouldn't cause any problems. I connect my PS5 directly to the TV and use eARC to get the audio to my AV processor - passes it straight through, no lag at all.

Nah have all that off as well as any auto volume levelling stuff but will check anyway.

Glad to hear eARC makes it better. I clearly missed the bus with the first gen of it on the C7, but will probably upgrade next year.
 
Nah have all that off as well as any auto volume levelling stuff but will check anyway.

I'm listening with my iPods now, same story - YouTube average level much louder than Atmos. The only setting in the Apple menu I can see that might affect it is "Reduce Loud Sounds", but posting my settings anyway:

Audio Options.jpg
 
So first results still using ARC were that the atrocious delay was still there, and still shows up even on YouTube so easy to confirm with an AV Sync Test video.

Then I did a weird thing somehow in fiddling and turned Dolby Atmos on for the TV itself…which should only matter if you use the internal speakers but then switching it back to AV Receiver…and bizarrely the delay is now gone.

Soundbar is still locked into Atmos and it all seems to work…whether it will keep working remains to be seen.
 
I'm listening with my iPods now, same story - YouTube average level much louder than Atmos. The only setting in the Apple menu I can see that might affect it is "Reduce Loud Sounds", but posting my settings anyway:

Audio Options.jpg

All identical except on “Audio Format” it says “Auto, Atmos Available”, but inside that menu it’s simply set to On.

I’ll have to fiddle with it a bit later, it could very well be that the jump from Stereo to all speaker use just makes it seem that in your face especially with music when it changes between non-Atmos and Atmos tracks.

But I’m convinced I’ve had the same even on iPhone with my AirPods not just the Apple TV. Will try it out today.
 
Back
Top Bottom